OpenNode and soft RAID

dik23

Apr 3, 2011
I see that the OpenNode project is supporting soft RAID.

Is there any chance of a port at any time ? Would this even be considered ? Not everyone has the funding for a nice hard RAID set up and running production sans RAID is quite unthinkable.

Although I really like Proxmox and prefer Debian I do find the long support times on CentOS alluring. Having to flatten my system for the upgrade to 2.0 was not a winner and I'm worried I'll have to do it again in a couple of years or be left running a "dead" OS again. Debian just doesn't "live" that long.

I am aware that it's possible - I use it.

I was just wondering if it'll ever be supported now that the "competition" support it

Well that would be nice but unfortunately there's no funds for that here.

I've been using soft RAID for ~18 months and it's already saved me once. The machine might not have been functioning perfectly with one drive down but it did keep everything online and enabled me to fix it out of office hours.

It would be nice if it was supported. It would also be nice if Debian supported their releases for longer :)

There are essentially infinite ways to setup soft RAID and numerous ways to make mistakes and loose your data.
I think that is why Proxmox does not want to support it.

Upgrading between debian versions is not difficult, that is one of the nice features of debian.
The only reason the upgrade from lenny to squeeze was difficult with Proxmox is because the Proxmox technology completely changed.
Now that the 2.0 rewrite is completed I suspect the upgrade to wheezy down the road will be quite smooth.

We decided a long time ago NOT to integrate mdraid and I do not want to start to explain it again, e100 summarized a few reasons.

Starting with 2.0, we officially support the installation from Squeeze, so there is everything possible now.
I discovered also a new guide, see http://www.howtoforge.com/proxmox-2-with-software-raid - so if you cannot do such an installation its also pretty sure that you cannot recover if you got issues. so for most this way is fine.

If future technologies like distributed storage like sheepdog and btrfs (also supports raid) gets stable, we plan to test and integrate them.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!