OpenMediaVault

knireis

Feb 3, 2011
It is not released yet, but after release it would be nice to see it as a appliance in Proxmox.

www.openmediavault.com

OpenMediaVault is the next generation network attached storage (NAS) solution based on Debian Linux. It contains services like SSH, (S)FTP, SMB/CIFS, AFS, UPnP media server, DAAP media server, RSync, DDNS, BitTorrent client and many more.
Thanks to the modular design of the framework it can be enhanced via plugins.
Overview
  • GPLv3 license
  • Debian Linux
  • ExtJS
  • AJAX
  • PHP
  • Modular design
  • Event driven configuration change management
Please notice that OpenMediaVault will be no Webmin replacement, so you will not be able to administrate already existing configurations like SSH, FTP, mdadm (RAID) or shares (+ACL). Also there will be only a small number of configuration options available for each service to keep the complexity for the user low. The configuration for each service will be generated with the settings done via the OpenMediaVault web administration interface.
It will be possible to install OpenMediaVault on an already installed Debian due it will be a deb package, but with the restrictions mentioned above. The main intention of OpenMediaVault will be to allow the user to install it from CD/DVD on the machine of its choice and use it without having deeper knowledge of the different services.

It seems there is something released on sourceforge, to verify...
but i think he is at the end of his work for a first release and this directly builtin into Proxmox would be an easy and cute solution to manage storage and secure vm.

the developer announced it will be released very soon instead of the usual it will be released when ready

I have tested it in a KVM for a few days and it works quite well. It would be nice if a VA template could be created.

there are no templates for KVM on Proxmox VE, just install from ISO, following the install guide from their wiki. virtio disks are not supported yet, use IDE disk for storage disks.

there are no templates for KVM on Proxmox VE, just install from ISO, following the install guide from their wiki. virtio disks are not supported yet, use IDE disk for storage disks.

On my (home)server running a VM as a container consumes hardly any extra electrical power. Running a VM in KVM takes 4 watt extra (in idle). This, and the fact that a container is faster, is for me the main reason to prefer OpenVZ container iso KVM.
So when a Openmediavault virtual appliance would be available, then i can save some electrical power for the environment (and my wallet);).

And by the way I'm using virtio disks with Openmediavault KVM and this works fine.

openmediavault is a tool to manage hard disks and shares. therefore its impossible to use as a container as you cannot manage hardware and partitions. so how do you think that this makes sense?

OK, I just thought that since i can run a nfs or cifs server in a debian container (with the fysical harddrives in my server mounted to the container with 'mount -n bind'), it would be possible to do the same with openmediavault running as a container.

So you suggest that someone create a template but you did not even tested it this works and if it makes sense? I doubt that the openmediavault project supports or recommend running OpenVZ, but feel free to dig deeper.

I have tested it in a KVM for a few days and it works quite well. It would be nice if a VA template could be created.
Hi,
i have tested openmediavault too. Looks nice, but the developer has IMHO no sense for security (or not much). The admin password is stored in plain-text (also in the config) - this is a "no go" for me. So take care to use an different PW than all others.
I have create an bug-report but the developer say it's a "must be" - i think a hashed pw and the right sudoers-file should also work...
The developer say it's for home-use (in other relation) but i think the data from a homeuser must have the same security-level like business-data.

BTW. the goal to provide iscsi-targets it's makes imho no realy sense to use it in an container. Testing with kvm is ok, but an storage-server is for an dedicated server (perhaps not for a special home-use).

Also tested and participating to bug contest. Work on KVM without problem. Currently, openmediavault is not for production at all. It's full of bugs and full of security holes as all the passwords stored in clear in an xml file (not only admin).

Pro:
- use Debian
- nice interface
- designed to grow
Con:
- need a dedicated disk for system
- no disk partition managment
- security: not designed to be secure currently
- not using uid/gid right for user account and share system
- directory sharing not well designed and not really usable in a pro environment
- no LVM and no iSCSI currently

I hope this project will go well. A nice OpenSource NAS appliance software based on Debian is a very needed tool.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!