Opening Proxmox ports

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by kokoticek, Dec 8, 2018 at 17:11.

1. kokoticek

kokoticek Member

Already read in the wiki about the ports Proxmox uses.

If wanting to access Proxmox GUI and VMs from outside LAN -internet-, I guess I'd need to allow all GUI, noVNC and Spice proxy ports in router. But, is this secure? Aren't those ports already widely known in the world just like SSH, httpd or RDP ports?

Wouldn't I need to change the default ports? How?

2. msalwe

msalwe New Member

You can open only 8006 to gui and access everything in browser. It is not necessary to open noVNC ports. As for spice you need to configure the port in VM and then redirect it. If you don’t need ssh of individual machines then 8006 is sufficient if you want access ssh on VM then you need to map port 22 of the VM to some other port of your public ip then you can access the ssh of VM individually on that port from outside. Of course you need to do these config in firewall or router. Still better install a pfsense firewall inside a VM and then you can easily manage the ports. Bridge the router with pfsense. I am assuming you are having a single public ip.

3. kokoticek

kokoticek Member

So if I open port 8006 I can acces the web GUI *and* from it the noVNC/SPICE consoles for all VMs?

And, would it be advisable to change default GUI port, or is it stillnot very known like the other standard ports such as SSH 22, httpd 43, etc?

4. fabian

fabian Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

If you are worried about exposing the web interface, I suggest making it only accessible via a VPN.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice