Open vSwitch (OvS) not working with Proxmox 7.1

maik83

Apr 16, 2021
I'm encountering issues with ovs on a brand new setup of a Proxmox 7.1 Server.

What I did:

1. Installed current Proxmox 7.1
2. Changed proxmox apt packages sources.list to "pve-no-subscription"
3. apt update
3. apt full-upgrade
4. apt install openvswitch-switch
5. Adatped the /etc/network/interfaces configuation as described in https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Open_vSwitch, a minimum configuration with one networkcard, and a bridge, and a vlan.
6. The same server hardware had before installed a proxmox 6.4 with working ovs. I also used my backuped /etc/network/interfaces configuration on the brand new installed proxmox 7.1 - without success.

After a reboot only the loopback/localhost interfaces are working (the only defined interfaces with "auto" and not using open vSwitch).

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00

ovs-vsctl show replys with a empty json.

If I'm manually calling "ifup" for all the ovs defined interfaces (vmbr0, vlans and network devices) the network started to work, and the configuration is visible in "ovs-vsctl show".

Simply restarting the "networking" or ovs-switch deamon (without manually ifup the interfaces) is not solving the issue

I tried this with 3 different servers - all are showing the same behavior.

Looks for me like there is an issue in the ovs-startup-implementation in Debian? Any ideas how I can fix it, that the ovs networking is working on startup without manual commands (ifup)?

Thanks & BR
Maik

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!