Online/Hot Backups in Proxmox

ramizaly

Jan 26, 2024
Hi. I am new to proxmox and I just wanted to ask if there is a way to perform hot backups in proxmox. I want to avoid the downtime that I get because of having to turn off the vm while backing it up. Does PBS provide hot backups??

Yes.

A (usual) backup is created by telling QEMU to create a snapshot. This works quick. After this the VM continues to work while the actual backup is created.

There is one pitfall: the data written to disk from the guest during this backup procedure has to be written first to the running backup procedure. This might slowdown the VM, so your backup storage should not be too slow...

As far as I know this mechanism is independent of the snapshot capabilities of the underlying storage (https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html)

Best regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!