OMV data disk to proxmox

ZooKeeper

Aug 5, 2020
So, I installed proxmox on my server which used to run OMV bare metal. Now I installed OMV as VM. I used to have some data drive connected to OMV when it was bare metal. How do I connect them directly to OMV VM without loosing any data? All disk shows up under node>>Disks but not under datacenter>> storage. It doesn't even show up in OMV Disks either.

You can try this guide from the wiki.

without loosing any data?
Backups would be good.

All disk shows up under node>>Disks but not under datacenter>> storage
This is normal if you just connect the disk to the host. You can, for example, create an EXT4 file system on a disk and mount it to the PVE host without adding it as "storage" to Proxmox VE. To add it to ProxmoxVE you would have to go to Datacenter->Storage->Add Directory and point it ("Directory" in the creation dialog) to the mount path.

I was going to try that but I didn't wanted to loose data. you are right, I should have back up but still in process of buying more hard drives. Little spending at time.

so I used same command for all of my three disk I want to passthrough for OMV, i think it is only mounting last one and removing other as I as new one. Any idea how to passthrough all three?

Code:
root@mystic:~# qm set 101 -scsi2 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZGY75F6G
update VM 101: -scsi2 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZGY75F6G
Use of uninitialized value $data in split at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/JSONSchema.pm line 792.
root@mystic:~# grep ZGY75F6G  /etc/pve/qemu-server/101.conf
scsi2: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZGY75F6G,size=3907018584K
root@mystic:~# qm set 101 -scsi2 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST2000DM001-1ER164_Z4Z2G2XD
update VM 101: -scsi2 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST2000DM001-1ER164_Z4Z2G2XD
Use of uninitialized value $data in split at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/JSONSchema.pm line 792.
root@mystic:~# grep Z4Z2G2XD /etc/pve/qemu-server/101.conf
scsi2: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST2000DM001-1ER164_Z4Z2G2XD,size=1953514584K

Like in the real world, you have to attach your disks to different (virtual) ports if you want to use them in parallel. For example:
Code:
qm set 101 -scsi2 ...
qm set 101 -scsi3 ...
qm set 101 -scsi4 ...

Aa, make sense. I tried with out -scsi2 word altogether as noob because i saw that it assign that in somewhere. Is there a limit on how many I can use, not that I am planning to use more than 5 or 10 ever but for knowledge.

The qm command lets you assign up to 30 scsi devices. You can search the qm man page for --scsi[n] :)

Reactions: ZooKeeper

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!