Okay to set up DHCP server as VM in Proxmox?

serjio

Apr 10, 2020
I've got a homelab setup with 5x nodes in a cluster. It's attached to my home network, and I wanted to run my own DHCP server instead of what my router provides.https://snaptube.cam/ 9apps

Is it a problem running a DHCP server as a VM in Proxmox, rather than a discrete machine on the network? I know I would want it to start before any other VM/Container in the cluster, but are there any other pitfalls or concerns I need to be aware of?

Last edited:
I think it should work with no issues. I'd consider to passthrough a dedicated NIC to that DHCP VM though (but it's "just" a homelab anyway).

no, of course that is possible (of course your PVE nodes should be configured to use static IPs, otherwise you'll have a problem with cold-starting your cluster ;)). note that it is only possible to express startup ordering on a node level, not across the whole cluster - but you could work around that by implementing your own custom startup script that queries the cluster/resources call and waits for the DHCP VM to be running.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!