Offsite sync to Cloud (Gdrive, Amazon S3 etc.) and Recovery of PBS

H4R0

Apr 5, 2020
TLDR: Is a full backup of the backup storage itself enough to install a new pbs server from iso and just add the storage back ? Or is there more to it ?

PBS is locking great so far ! However im in the need to offsite sync (push) backups to remote storage.

Right now pbs only offer offsite sync as pull from another pbs server. Which therefore requires another server or vps.

Usually i would simply push needed files over a protocol like rsync, sftp, ftp, webdav etc. Whatever the remote storage offers.

But im not sure exactly what has to be offsite synced. The whole backup storage is obvious.

But will i miss some important files, for example encryption keys, required config files or something else ?

I will do some tests in my lab in the following days, but i would like to know in advance.

Goal is to reinstall a pbs from scratch add old backup storage and restore from that to pve.

The setup is intended for disaster recovery in case everything is broken like fire, tornados, natural disaster whatever. And can only be recovered from offsite storage. Offsite storage will be replicated to at least 2 cloud providers.

Last edited:
Hi @H4R0

am working on something similar, am adding another PBS Server which mount an S3

I can share my results, in case I'm successful

Im looking forward to your results.

I did not have time to test it yet but i have it on my todo list for this week.

I ended up doing several tests, in case you do not use encryption only syncing the backup storage with offsite is enough.

If you use encryption it is important to also store the encryption keys at a safe place. They are stored at /etc/pve/priv/storage/<storage>.enc

All you have to do for automatic offsite sync is adding a backup hook script to /etc/vzdump.conf.

In your hook script react for the argument "job-end", mount your storage and do the offsite sync with rsync.

Sadly for me pbs in its current state is useless as enabling encryption turns of the new qemu dirty bitmap feature, my current backup solution using borg is far superior.

Sadly for me pbs in its current state is useless as enabling encryption turns of the new qemu dirty bitmap feature, my current backup solution using borg is far superior.

this not true at all.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!