off site PBS server that gets updates using USB

RobFantini

Famous Member
May 24, 2012
Boston,Mass
Hello
we have a couple of pve backup systems ready to use in case server room burns down.

using regular pve backups we rsync to usb, then use that usb off site to restore backups.

with PBS we want to do something similar as our WAN conneciton can not handle the pbs sync.

so I did this:

1- restored a pbs backup from usb to /backups

2- installed pbs

3- then tried to add /backups/store1 as a datastore and got this:
Code:
proxmox-backup-manager datastore create store1 /backups/store1
Error: unable to create chunk store 'store1' subdir "/backups/store1/.chunks" - EEXIST: File exists

Next I think that I should try to add the datastore then restore the usb? I'll try that but if any advise on a better way please respond.

so creating the datastore just had to be done before the restore. after restore pbs > datastore > content shows the backups.

I used rsync -aHx to do the backup and restore.

if there is a better suggestion for data transfer to and from usb please post a reply.

(incremental) rsync from/to an external disk should work fine for doing a manual sync via sneakernet ;)

Would it be a good idea to do a PBS backup to a mirrored ZFS pool. Then split the pool, take it to the remote server. Add that split pool to the remote server with zpool import. Then make that the datastore for future remote sync jobs?

also an option, but 'dd' is probably simpler in that case (and more file system/storage agnostic)

Thanks for the info. I'm already setup with a zfs backup pool on location using pve-zsync. I was actually in the planning stages of doing the pool split for a remote backup using zfs send. So for me the pool split is pretty simple.

Thanks for the info. I'm already setup with a zfs backup pool on location using pve-zsync. I was actually in the planning stages of doing the pool split for a remote backup using zfs send. So for me the pool split is pretty simple.

if possible we you have this figured out, could you post your zpool commands at both nodes? I think this is could be a very good way to get backups off site. we have supermicro removable hdd's at all locations so this would work for us.
in the mean time we are battling to set up the usb method.

Reactions: Jarvar
Sure thing. Just to get you started. Read about the split command and the import command in the zpool man page. That explains the basics of what I'm going to do.

I'll post again, once I've got this accomplished.

Reactions: Rainerle and Jarvar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!