Odd warning message when upgrading

Davidoff

Nov 19, 2017
When running apt dist-upgrade, I sometimes get the following warning message:
Code:
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 4.13.16-2-pve /boot/vmlinuz-4.1  3.16-2-pve
dkms: WARNING: Linux headers are missing, which may explain the above failures.
      please install the linux-headers-4.13.16-2-pve package to fix this.

When I searched for this issue, I found this other post and installed the pve-headers package as suggested. However, I still keep getting the warning message after that has been installed.

I found a post on askubuntu that suggested that the specific package referenced should be installed. In my case that would seem to be the "linux-headers-4.13.16-2-pve" package. But when I try to do so I get an error message indicating that apt is unable to locate that package.

Things seem to have been working fine on my system, but just wondering if perhaps I'm missing something here or not installing the right package or something. Or this this something that can be safely disregarded?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Did you re-install the pve-kernel-4.13 package after installing the pve-headers?

Reactions: Davidoff
Thanks for the note Alwin. No, I did not as I didn't realize that was required.

I've now done so (by running "apt install --reinstall pve-kernel-4.13").

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!