NVIDIA vGPU + Grid on Proxmox 8

petrij98

Feb 18, 2024
Hi all! I've begun the unimaginably painful journey of attempting to implement NVIDIA grid on my Proxmox 8 homelab, so I can split my Tesla P40's 24GB of Memory among 3 of my Virtual Machines (8GB per VM). However, after following the guidance of CraftComputing and the official Proxmox vGPU documentation, I have run into a problem with installing the NVIDIA drivers onto my hardware. I have downloaded version 16.5 of NVIDIA's vGPU driver package (535.161.05 for Linux KVM), brought it over to Proxmox, and attempted to run it as root after making it executable. However, I am greeted with 'ERROR: An error occurred while performing the step: "Building kernel modules" See /var/log/nvidia-installer.log for details' after the initial progress bar reaches 97%. I have done everything from fresh reboots to retracing my hardware and software prerequisites and am completely stumped on how to move forward. I'm hoping this is an easy fix, so I can get back up and running. However, I haven't easily seen any troubleshooting tips or guides that call out this issue. Does anyone have any pointers? I attached my nvidia-installer.log for context.

Attachments

• nvidia-installer.log
    57.1 KB · Views: 6

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!