Nvidia GPU drivers installed on Proxmox host, but not working in LXC

aitch

Jun 18, 2023
The end goal is to have a GPU to passthrough to multiple LXC containers. I originally had it mounted as a passthrough to a VM, but have since removed those configurations and want to use the LXCs instead. The primary objective is for my Jellyfin LXC to be able to utilise the GPU for hardware encoding.

Stats:
Proxmox VE 8.2.4 (6.8.8-3-pve)
i5-10400 CPU (not using the integrated graphics)
Nvidia Quadro P400
(Jellyfin LXC Unprivileged from Helper-Scripts)

Context:
I have followed quite a few guides, and each one seemed to have a failure somewhere for me - I suspect this may be the issue. I've installed packages to get the GPU to work such as:
  • nvidia-driver
  • libnvcuvid1
  • libnvidia-encode1
  • nvidia-cuda-dev
  • nvidia-cuda-toolkit
Many guides also suggest downloading the drivers direct from Nvidia, and running them manually using the installer - however I cannot do this as my install complains that I have already installed drivers using apt, and I should remove those before proceeding.
I have removed, and purged the above packages, along with any associated packages, but this error still presents itself when trying to use the installer.

Current Situation:
I thought I had made some good progress, re-installing drivers via apt after many purges and reboots - the GPU seemed to be mounted, and under lspci I was getting the "Kernel driver in use: nvidia" under my GPU. I thought I was sorted, so I successfully (so I thought) passed through the GPU to the Jellyfin LXC (following this video guide), set Jellyfin to NVENC Hardware Acceleration, only to try and get a playback error essentially telling me that "no CUDA-capable device is detected".
I went back to my host, and ran the 'nvidia-smi' command, only to see that the whilst the GPU is identified, no processes are running like in every other screenshot I see in guides:
Code:
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 535.183.01             Driver Version: 535.183.01   CUDA Version: 12.2     |
|-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                 Persistence-M | Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp   Perf          Pwr:Usage/Cap |         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                      |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+======================+======================|
|   0  Quadro P400                    On  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| 34%   47C    P8              N/A /  N/A |      1MiB /  2048MiB |      0%      Default |
|                                         |                      |                  N/A |
+-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                            |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                            GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                             Usage      |
|=======================================================================================|
|  No running processes found                                                           |

My Question:
Where do I go from here? Is there a way to clean out all the nvidia drivers from proxmox, so I can run the installer that many other users seem to have no issues with?
Have I potentially caused too much mess in my proxmox with all the packages and may need to clean install? Can I wait for a new proxmox update, and allow that new kernel to clean out any packages?

Apologies for the long post and fairly vague questions - I have spent many evenings on this, I feel that I have made this far more complicated for myself and I'm at the edge of my knowledge and fear that any further messing about could put my proxmox install in a bad state.

Last edited:
Hi

Did you ever get this sorted Iv been trying to do the same and getting the exact same issues as you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!