NVIDIA Card Not Showing with Onboard iGPU/GPU Setting to Auto

Seed

Oct 18, 2019
Hello,

I'm looking to test out vGPU on a little lenovo P360 I have with an A2000 GPU. Right now in the BIOS I have the GPU set to auto. When I do this I only get the VGA device for the onboard iGPU as that is what's plugged in and using during configuration. If I enable or force GPU, or the card in the BIOS and reboot I only see the NVIDIA card in lspci. Do I have to have a cable or something plugged into the card for it to be active? I'm looking to ideally keep the iGPU for proxmox use, and split the A2000, Ampere card, into some VMs but assume I should be able to see both VGA devices at first before configuration.

Proxmox 8.1

This looks like a limitation with my comp.
It's indeed not fixable from Proxmox. Modern systems appear to need a working display connected to the integrated graphics, otherwise they disable it. Have you tried this?
Can't you set the BIOS to integrated graphics (to make sure it boots with it, Proxmox uses it and the GPU for passthrough is not used during boot)? Maybe see if there is a BIOS update.

A simple workaround is (sometimes) a dummy plug connected to the onboard gpu (hdmi, dp, etc.). So that the system „thinks“ a display is connected. But afaik the P340/360 series lacks of IOMMU capacity.

Reactions: leesteken
It's indeed not fixable from Proxmox. Modern systems appear to need a working display connected to the integrated graphics, otherwise they disable it. Have you tried this?
Can't you set the BIOS to integrated graphics (to make sure it boots with it, Proxmox uses it and the GPU for passthrough is not used during boot)? Maybe see if there is a BIOS update.

Yeah. The BIOS is updated. I have 3 options PEG, iGPU and Auto. Ive tried all the combinations and it only loads one even with both plugged in. It's a little frustrating.
A simple workaround is (sometimes) a dummy plug connected to the onboard gpu (hdmi, dp, etc.). So that the system „thinks“ a display is connected. But afaik the P340/360 series lacks of IOMMU capacity.

IOMMU is supported. Dummy plug trick doesn't work unfortunately.

Yeah. The BIOS is updated. I have 3 options PEG, iGPU and Auto. Ive tried all the combinations and it only loads one even with both plugged in. It's a little frustrating.
Other systems don't disable other PCI(e) device (like discrete GPUs) when it's set to iGPU. Strange that yours works differently. Check for a newer or older BIOS maybe?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!