Nox/Nested Virtualization

VFPro

Feb 1, 2021
Hello community.

This is my first post on here or pretty much any forum; please forgive me if my decorum is not to spec. I'm trying to run Nox Player in a windows 10 pro VM. I have passed a gpu to this VM which works; I can run PoE on the system and it runs pretty smooth (not sure if this is related or not but it's the only thing of note about the VM). I've tried turning on hyper-v and I've gone through the wiki on nested virtualization; cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested returns 'Y'. Also the cpu is set to host. When I try to load nox player though; it gets to about 60-95% and then the VM restarts. I've tried many solutions but I can't seem to pin down what's crashing it or where to look to find out why it's crashing.

If someone could offer some insight on the issue or have any ideas on where I can look to diagnose why it crashes I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
VFPro.

VM restarts
You mean the restart is initiated by Windows? In this case Windows Event Viewer?

Dominic,

Thank you for your reply. I think that was major step forward. Event viewer under windows logs > system gives me this warning when I'm trying to run nox:

Code:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
 and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
 to the user DESKTOP-6Q31F5H\Peon SID (S-1-5-21-2243311002-2273764579-4241096131-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.610_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I went to RegEdit and viewed permissions for the CLSID listed and added my account under permissions and set full control. Then I went to the APPID listed and added my account to the permissions there. I finished by opening component services and navigated to 'immersive shell' under DCOM config and added my account to; launch and activation perms, access perms, and configuration perms. I tried running nox after restarting and got the same error message. Unfortunately now I'm stuck again; that was what I could find searching online. I'm going to keep trying but if anyone might have some insight on this issue or how I can further diagnose this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
VFPro.

Unfortunately, I don't really know about those Windows settings...

cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested returns 'Y'.

Just to be sure, you do have a Intel CPU, right? Because currently nested Hyper-V on AMD has some problems. Kernel >= 5.10 seems to solve those.

Dominic,

Thank you for your continued interest. I do have intel: 32 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2665 0 @ 2.40GHz (2 Sockets). I'm still troubleshooting this issue. If I happen to solve it I will update this forum post. If you have any more questions or ideas please let me know.

I wanted to try this, but so far Nox complained about missing graphics drivers. Could you maybe post your VM configuration?

Code:
qm config <vmid>

Dominic,

Ofcourse:

balloon: 4096
bios: ovmf
boot: order=virtio0;net0
cores: 12
cpu: host,hidden=true,flags=+pcid
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1,size=4M
hostpci0: 05:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1
kvm: 1
machine: q35
memory: 32768
name: BotHost
net0: virtio=EA:E2:22:98:F3:9F,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=ec81c3ad-bfb4-4717-ab6e-ad6a0a309621
sockets: 2
usb0: host=046d:c05a,usb3=1
usb1: host=0624:0249,usb3=1
usb2: host=1c4f:0002,usb3=1
vga: std
virtio0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0,cache=writethrough,size=250G
vmgenid: 39e7b39d-fc81-4cd6-bb9a-18ff72e43617

I had to pass the gpu I'm using down to my vm. I tried several guides on how to do this and most of them didn't work; even ones from only a year ago. I found this guide worked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Q1a0rpt2U. I've made some changes since then to try to run nested virtualization; If I understand right that's what I'm trying to do here. I followed the guide on the proxmox wiki for running nested virtualization and further installed intel's haxm to try to get it to work. That didn't help but I did get leomoon: https://leomoon.com/downloads/desktop-apps/leomoon-cpu-v/, to show that my VM has the right cpu and OS architecture for virtualization. I think it is related to the components the VM is trying to access. I'm planning on trying to get a microsoft tech to take a look into it this weekend. Not sure where to go for that but I'm gonna be researching that this weekend.

Thanks,
VFPro

Reactions: Dominic
For anyone curious about this,

Proxmox can't handle running nox in a VM. Not sure why it can't but it's just not up to it I guess. ESXI can run it; try vmware I guess if you want it to work. I ended up just running windows 10 on the server and removing proxmox entirely. If someone comes across this in the future while trying to setup proxmox with nox; if you find the answer please post it here as I still want to get this working. But it looks like proxmox just isn't ready yet.

For anyone curious about this,

Proxmox can't handle running nox in a VM. Not sure why it can't but it's just not up to it I guess. ESXI can run it; try vmware I guess if you want it to work. I ended up just running windows 10 on the server and removing proxmox entirely. If someone comes across this in the future while trying to setup proxmox with nox; if you find the answer please post it here as I still want to get this working. But it looks like proxmox just isn't ready yet.
I can second this. I have been unable to determine a solution. My VM hangs completely if I so much as load nox and leave it up for awhile, can say the same for Bluestacks as well. I have tried too many things. If you need to virtualize a game ready android emulator skip proxmox I guess...

Last edited:
I can second this. I have been unable to determine a solution. My VM hangs completely if I so much as load nox and leave it up for awhile, can say the same for Bluestacks as well. I have tried too many things. If you need to virtualize a game ready android emulator skip proxmox I guess...
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I have some suggestions on the topic
There is a solution to launch BlueStack
You need to enable nested and in the VM settings set the processor mod "host"
A suitable Windows image is also needed, there will not be the necessary support on the images of the LTSB edition and the Home receiver
I recommend using the PRO version of the latest release and with the latest updates
NOX didn’t work for me, but it solved the problem with BlueStack and Memu

I managed to start NOX Player in PVE 7.3 with this cpu flags:
cpu: host,flags=-md-clear;-pcid;-spec-ctrl;+pdpe1gb;-hv-tlbflush;+hv-evmcs

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!