Not getting "Trust This Computer?" on iOS devices

stringpark

Dec 19, 2022
Hello,

I have created a Windows 10 VM on Proxmox 7.3, installed the virtio-win drives, installed iTunes, and passed through both an iPhone and iPad via the "Use USB Vendor/Device ID" option in the Hardware settings of the VM. After starting the VM, I get an "Allow this device to access photos and videos?" message on the iOS device (to which I allow), but I never get the expected "Trust this computer?" message as you would on normal hardware. I can see the iOS devices in windows explorer and browse their photos, but the devices do not show up in iTunes for backups, syncing, etc. Is there maybe something simple that I am missing?

Thanks!

Hello,

I have created a Windows 10 VM on Proxmox 7.3, installed the virtio-win drives, installed iTunes, and passed through both an iPhone and iPad via the "Use USB Vendor/Device ID" option in the Hardware settings of the VM. After starting the VM, I get an "Allow this device to access photos and videos?" message on the iOS device (to which I allow), but I never get the expected "Trust this computer?" message as you would on normal hardware. I can see the iOS devices in windows explorer and browse their photos, but the devices do not show up in iTunes for backups, syncing, etc. Is there maybe something simple that I am missing?

Thanks!
Just about USB in general (the particularly mentioned devices I don't know): Vendor/Device ID may change when activating certain functions, therefore the safer and more stable way is to specify an USB device by Port. Note that also in this case you may have different port addresses at the same hardware port depending on protocol which is used (i.e. USB1, USB2 or USB3). To be sure check information you get by running
Code:
lsusb
lsusb -t

Reactions: stringpark
Thanks so much for the reply @Richard! I did get this sorted out finally. It turned out to be a Windows driver issue rather than a Proxmox configuration issue. I'll detail here in the off chance someone else runs into the same oddball scenario. The problem was with a trimmed down iso of Win10 that I am using called Tiny10. Whatever drivers it comes with installed the iOS devices as a "Portable Device", rather than an "Apple Mobile Device USB Composite Device" (in Device Manager). I noticed this after creating a VM with the full, unaltered, Win10 iso, and got the "Trust this computer?" message as expected. Found a thread on the web about updating the drivers from those created during the iTunes install, but it didn't work for me and just produced a (Code 52) error in device manager (something about the drivers not being signed I think). So the fix for me was to use a program called DriverMax to backup the "Apple Mobile Device USB Composite Device" drivers from the full Win10 install and then use them to update the device drivers in the Tiny10 install.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!