[SOLVED] Noob question: boot and run a VM from a physical disk taken from a real machine.

JanCri

Jan 31, 2021
Hi,
I just did my first install of PVE on an old PC with one HDD. I understand that's not the recommended config but that's all i have for now. I created a couple VMs fine.

Now i have in another multiboot PC a SATA SSD from which i boot Kubuntu. And i would like to take that SSD and install it on the PVE machine then create a VM that would boot and run directly (passthrough) from that SSD. I do not want to create a virtual disk from that SSD.

I searched and found the following that seems relevant:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Passthrough_Physical_Disk_to_Virtual_Machine_(VM)

So i was thinking of doing:
- create a VM with a VirstIO SCSI + regular virtual disk (say scsi0)
- Shell: 'qm set VM-ID -scsi1 /dev/disk/by-id/<my-transplanted-ssd-id>'
- Then from the webui, make scsi1 the VM boot device and probably get rid of the scsi0 created when the VM was created.

1) Since i don't know at all what i am doing, i would like confirmation, comments or pointers.
2) If things go side way with the old hardware running PVE, could i take the SSD, install it back on my other PC and boot from it and run happily?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT:
I did pretty much as above but used 'qm set <VM-ID> -sata0 /dev/disk/by-id/<my-transplanted-ssd-id>', made sata0 the boot device, detach&delete the scsi1 created when creating the VM. And it all seems to work fine.
Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Hey,

what you wrote seems fine. And yes, you can just put the SSD in your PC and boot from it. Alternatively, you can convert your system to a VM, basically, your system is copied into a new VM instead of passing through an existing disk[1]. Converting might result in slightly better performance than the passthrough method, and allows live migration if that is of any concern for you.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#Physical-to-Virtual_.28P2V.29

Reactions: Thorvi
Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, when i eventually get a proper PC setup, i plan to move to a VM with a virtual disk. But in the meantime with my current hardware, i will try the pass-thru disk then.
Best,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!