Non-Linux guest performance degradation after upgrade 4.4 -> 5.2

Kirill_AGA

Jul 17, 2018
Hi all,

After upgrade from discontinued PVE 4.4 to 5.2 I faced quite an unpleasant fact, that all my OpenBSD guests have been slowed down dramatically... After some research I found, that Spectre-related patches can affect performance (does that mean, that last pve-kernel for 4.4 didn't have them?). Funny, but Linux guests haven't been affected at all. I played a bit with different types of processor/flags (PCID, SPEC-CTRL), and disk caches, but did not come to any significant improvement... Any suggestions/ideas?

Cheers,
Kirill

So... Tried so far without success:
  • Disabling hyperthreading
  • Playing with various types of emulated CPUs (or exposing the host CPU type to the guest)
  • Reducing/increasing number of cores
The only thing really worked — downgrading the kernel to pve-4.4.134-1

At the same time I've found recommendation to set kvm_intel.preemption_timer to N or "0", wanna give it a try (need to wait couple of hours to access the console to bring back the hyperthreading).

UPD: It worked! Setting kvm_intel.preemption_timer to N did the trick and all my VMs are lightning fast again. :D;):cool:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!