non-HA cluster quorum and votes

M@ario

Dec 23, 2010
Hi all!

Today I had to reboot my 8 node non-HA cluster because of a storage migration. When I turned on the nodes one-by-one the cluster did not get quorate on the first 4 nodes and the VMs on these nodes did not start. After the 5th node the cluster got the quorum and the VMs on node 5 to 8 started normally. I had to start the VMs on 1-4 manually.
I think this is because the "expected votes" value in the cluster configuration is set to 8. AFAIK that means the cluster does not become quorate until at least half of the nodes (4) are online.

Question: Is it safe, in a non-HA cluster, to set expected votes permanently to 1?
This should make the cluster always quorate and so the VMs are always started automatically.

Hi all!

Today I had to reboot my 8 node non-HA cluster because of a storage migration. When I turned on the nodes one-by-one the cluster did not get quorate on the first 4 nodes and the VMs on these nodes did not start. After the 5th node the cluster got the quorum and the VMs on node 5 to 8 started normally. I had to start the VMs on 1-4 manually.
I think this is because the "expected votes" value in the cluster configuration is set to 8. AFAIK that means the cluster does not become quorate until at least half of the nodes (4) are online.
Hi!
Question: Is it safe, in a non-HA cluster, to set expected votes permanently to 1?
No!!
If your Networkconnection between parts of your cluster lost, all nodes have quorum and all VMs can run.
Say, if you have trouble with node 3 because of a network issue and you shutdown the node and start the VMs from node 3 on other nodes (shared storage on anothe NIC) all is fine. But if you now start node 3 again, the node get quorum (but don't see the rest of the qluster and don't know that the VMs allready run on different nodes) and start all VMs which are autostarted - best thing to get data corruption inside the VM-hdd...

If you restartet your cluster node by node you don't have trouble with the quorum and autostart.

Udo

Hi!

No!!
If your Networkconnection between parts of your cluster lost, all nodes have quorum and all VMs can run.
Say, if you have trouble with node 3 because of a network issue and you shutdown the node and start the VMs from node 3 on other nodes (shared storage on anothe NIC) all is fine. But if you now start node 3 again, the node get quorum (but don't see the rest of the qluster and don't know that the VMs allready run on different nodes) and start all VMs which are autostarted - best thing to get data corruption inside the VM-hdd...
I'm talking of a NON-HA cluster (no rgmanager running)! You can't simply start a VM on another node with this type of cluster (it's like the "cluster" in 1.x). All you can do (and all I want) is live migration between cluster nodes. So this should not be a problem with "expected votes=1".
If you restartet your cluster node by node you don't have trouble with the quorum and autostart.
I had to take the shared storage offline, so I needed to stop the whole cluster first.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!