Node Tagging / Router Indicators

jmp

Oct 12, 2023
We run several Proxmox clusters and have found it quite cumbersome to determine which of the nodes in each cluster is the current and secondary router end points. We have to dig through the config everytime we do an upgrade to make sure we do them in the right order as the currently configured router end points can differ from cluster to cluster.

So I did some digging around and saw that it's been requested in the past to add support for tagging parent nodes with the same tagging system available for tagging children. It seems that it should be possible to expand upon the existing tagging feature that already exists so that it can iterate on the parent nodes as well. Being able to make this suggestion via a git pull request is a bit beyond my own capabilities, so I'm at the mercy of the existing developers to incorporate this as new functionality in a future release.

Optionally, a solution outside of the previously suggested tagging system would be some kind of iconic indicator for nodes configured as routers. While that would solve some of our problems, I believe expanding the existing tagging feature is a much better solution as it can be adapted for many other customization tracking that may be unique to individual users of the software. I hope this is something we can get traction on for a future build.

In the interim, I am writing a solution that uses browser userscript to inject CSS acting as a pseudo-tagging system for our needs. However, I would much rather have a supported tagging feature that everyone can take advantage of moving forward.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!