Node cert questions

Afox

Renowned Member
Dec 18, 2014
Hello,

I have several questions regarding the certificate of a node:
  • Is there a reason why by default the certificate length is only 2048 bits?
  • Can I increase that length somehow and regenerate the cert?
  • Would it be possible to implement a possibility to create a csr from the GUI so that the plain key is not sent through the network/internet?
Thanks in advance for any answer.

Best regards,

Afox

Hello,

I have several questions regarding the certificate of a node:
  • Is there a reason why by default the certificate length is only 2048 bits?
could probably be bumped to 4096 nowadays (note that you can provide your own key and PVE will happily use that)
  • Can I increase that length somehow and regenerate the cert?
replace the key (openssl genrsa -out /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key 4096) and re-generate the certificate (pvecm updatecerts -f). verify with pvenode cert info.
  • Would it be possible to implement a possibility to create a csr from the GUI so that the plain key is not sent through the network/internet?
yes, but nobody requested that so far. honestly at this point, if you want that I'd just use let's encrypt (or another ACME compatible CA, you can also run your own!).

Reactions: Afox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!