[TUTORIAL] No valid subscription popup removal (PVE 8.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

esi_y

Nov 29, 2023
github.com
This is to assist countless people on this forum asking about the same ("You do not have a valid subscription for this server.") and offload the forum from endless discussions about the same and ridiculing the testing community [1] and talking about the same for over a decade now [2].

Most importantly, it is also to protect an average PVE user from git cloning questionable intricate patches into their JS - and the reputational risk for Proxmox.

Finally, it is also meant to promote better coding style.

Valid and tested as of version 8.2.4. Preferably apply via local console or SSH, clear browser cache afterwards.

removed by forum moderation

PS: Of course you are encouraged to purchase a subscription [3], do note the "Community" one is effectively a donation. Everyone else, welcome to the testing community forum.

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/delete_this_post.141704/
[2] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/howto-remove-popup-regarding-subscription-on-login.15987/
[3] https://www.proxmox.com/en/proxmox-virtual-environment/pricing

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gianry
ONLY for the no-nonsense people (proxmox-ve: 8.2.0, proxmox-widget-toolkit: 4.2.3):

removed by forum moderation

NOTE: If you break anything, you will need to: apt reinstall proxmox-widget-toolkit

Last edited by a moderator:
And the easiest way is to buy a subscription.
By doing so, you are also supporting the project. ;)

Reactions: iprigger
And the easiest way is to buy a subscription.

I just can't quite believe that the form of the reminder (popup) was designed to increase revenue. It is a bad form of reminding a genuine need-to-have-subscription user (no one in enterprise buys a subscriptions to "get rid of a popup") and it penalises e.g. frequent testers running off the no-subscription repo.

The fact it appears on the forum over and over again and lots of cryptic responses only result in people running unknown code from stranger's github repos in the JS of their hypervisor which they might be entrusting some of their very private data whilst not realising the risks. I can't change the mind of a couple of people behind the steering wheel that has not changed for 10+ years, but I am confident I have not reduced any takings while lowering the said risks, overall adding value to everyone. Note the license does not prevent the modification.

By doing so, you are also supporting the project. ;)

By all means, supporting anything that gives us value is the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falk R.
Sure, it's open source and anyone can change and customize their system as they like. I just wanted to put it under the instructions as a reminder.
A little tip, if you run a cluster at home, a community subscription on the host where I normally start the GUI is also sufficient.

Personally, I got the community subscription for my two hosts because I want to support the project.

Reactions: esi_y
Sure, it's open source and anyone can change and customize their system as they like. I just wanted to put it under the instructions as a reminder.

I had actually included the link [3] above for the same reason soon after posting.

A little tip, if you run a cluster at home, a community subscription on the host where I normally start the GUI is also sufficient.

That's basically the topic of convenience, suitability (the repo is, after all, called "enterprise") and fair reward (GDP per capita is not a worldwide constant) and perceived value (of a recurrent model). If the only perceived value were to be "there's no popup", I would argue that's a problem.

EDIT: And let's not discount the fact of the modern world that there are people who cannot facilitate the payment via select accepted methods as well - but that would be politics, which a product like this should not be part of. (Anyone old enough to remember how PGP shipped the code out of the US?)

There are other valid concerns I would consider when it comes to e.g. not getting one's deployment tracked by (any) single party, simply because it contains a unique token, i.e. it's not the payment that's the primary concern.

Personally, I got the community subscription for my two hosts because I want to support the project.

As bizzare as it would sound, I do not run PVE for anything productive, yet I spin it up from time to time, i.e. I do not need the better tested repo (this should be probably better communicated than just "support"). The problem is that with e.g. Community one you do not really get anything of a bespoke value. It might be a philosophy issue too (imagine recurrent payment for your smart fridge, thermostat, etc. ... just because ...). I think there's many other ways people actually contribute, e.g. bugreporting, helping others on the forum, improving the codebase by simply using it on non-critical systems and coming to the forum, promoting it, etc. I dropped a comment in another thread [4] what I think would be a more practical model for (not only) retail users. The "donations" do not usually work.

But this post was simply because it's been enough of reading through "it is a bit impolite to ask on this forum on how to remove a nag", etc. I am at a loss why no one considered that users are then at risk by running unknown code from dubious sources, which they eventually do (if they do not / cannot pay for the single - albeit recurrent - Community sub).

[4] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/subscription-cost-disappointment.113205/page-3#post-694650

Last edited:
I thought that you couldn't run a cluster with a subscription on only one node? Or is that you won't get any support unless all nodes have subscription?
The later. They technically can run on mixed subscription-types, and as such mixed updates, it's just that it is not recommended to do so (other then while in the process of upgrading), but since it's a test/home cluster anyway, that usually isn't that big of an issue. It's just that if you want support-ticket-support from Proxmox (which you wouldn't even get with the community-edition) they all need to be on the same level.

Also my own 2 cents as a possible "why" of the popup, at least this way this version can't be run in a production-environment, have something break during an update, and then blame Proxmox, as that company must know their update-method wasn't "production-ready".
That said, I personally would find a more elegant solution to have a checkbox to say "Don't warn me for the next 30 days" or something along those lines (saved in a browser-cookie so that different browsers/pc's/users still get the warning). That would give the warning without the nagging aspect.

Reactions: esi_y and andlil
I personally would find a more elegant solution to have a checkbox to say "Don't warn me for the next 30 days" or something along those lines (saved in a browser-cookie so that different browsers/pc's/users still get the warning). That would give the warning without the nagging aspect.

The banner instills fear in a generally correct user

FWIW, I personally did this right away after first install when testing all the possible issues and troubleshooting. Later on, I barely needed to connect to GUI, so it did not even nag me. But when you are testing something, it really gets in the way. I think I filed well over 5 bugreports (which definitely contribute more after fixed than a cup of coffee a month) as a result. Also consider that people who e.g. want to fork this or use on a mass scale do not worry about this at all, they just run API calls. It's only the home first-time user that then resorts to questionable solutions (one of the github repos comes with BASE64 encoded payload and encourages curl | bash). All this due to a design decision - popup vs e.g. banner on top at all times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!