No previous backup found, cannot do incremental backup

Please do also check the systemd journal or dmesg output on the PBS host for errors related to CephFS around the time of the backups.

I'll try that in the next days.
Another user in the other thread regarding this issue tried to use the ceph-fuse client, and reported that this fixed the issue for him. So while the fuse client might be used as a workaround, it would be nice to find the root cause. If anyone able to reproduce this issue is willing to debug, please try to generate a dynamic debugging output for the in-kernel ceph client as described here https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/backup-suceeds-but-ends-up-failing-verification.149249/post-690579

Hi Chris,

I've switched now to fuse-mounts. The issue is fixed now. Also the backups are faster.
I'll try to collect the debug-Information and provide them to you.

Best regards
Simon

Reactions: Chris
Hi Chris,

I've switched now to fuse-mounts. The issue is fixed now. Also the backups are faster.
I'll try to collect the debug-Information and provide them to you.

Best regards
Simon
Hi,
please do also try to see if the issue is present if booting into kernel 6.5.13-6-pve on the PBS, using the in-kernel cephfs client.

Last edited:
please do also try to see if the issue is present if booting into kernel 6.5.13-6-pve on the PBS, using the in-kernel cephfs client.
after switching to proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-5-pve (proxmox-kernel-6.5.13-6-pve is not available in the repo) the backup works fine again with in-kernel cephfs.

Best regards
Simon

Another user in the other thread regarding this issue tried to use the ceph-fuse client, and reported that this fixed the issue for him. So while the fuse client might be used as a workaround, it would be nice to find the root cause. If anyone able to reproduce this issue is willing to debug, please try to generate a dynamic debugging output for the in-kernel ceph client as described here https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/backup-suceeds-but-ends-up-failing-verification.149249/post-690579
Chris: Do you need the described debug-information?

Best Regards
Simon

Chris: Do you need the described debug-information?

Best Regards
Simon
Please do not go trough the effort as of now, I am currently investigating an issue with the in-kernel cephfs client which might be related. Allow me to come back to you if more information is needed or this turns out to be unrelated.

Thanks a lot for your availability!

Hi,

the CephFS issue currently under investigation is related to the readahead size, as configurable when mounting the ceph filesystem via the rasize option [0]. Please check if your issues persist even if the CephFS backing the datastore is mounted by adding an additional rasize=0. This would help in gaining confidence that the two issues are indeed related, thx!

[0] https://docs.ceph.com/en/reef/man/8/mount.ceph/#advanced

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!