No Network Connection after install

Queless

Nov 13, 2015
Hello, I'm new to Proxmox and linux in general so sorry if this is a stupid question. After I install proxmox I have no network connection. I have 3 network adapters, 2 on the motherboard and 1 intel nic. I have the internet plugged into the nic, and after the install I have no network connection. I can't ping google, and my computer can't access the web interface (time out). There is no blinking light on the adapter when proxmox is running, and I'm thinking that it's trying to use the wrong network adapter.

I tried installing Proxmox onto debian, as I can choose which network adapter to use. I'm able to use the internet, install packages, ping, etc. but following this guide (i can't post links yet, sorry to make you google it) /wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie I can't add the proxmox VE repository. When I enter the echo command to add the proxmox ve repository (can't paste it here because it has a link lol) nothing happens, it simply prompts me to enter a new command as if I didn't enter the last one.

I'm thinking my solution might be to manually put the files in the drive where it would have normally downloaded, and I'll try this when I get home from work, but I would love some advice. Is there a way to choose which adapter to use? Maybe after install? Or is that not the problem I'm having.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Question 1 (a+b+c+d):

So you tried the folowing:

- Install Proxmox from Proxmox Ve 4.0 Iso
- Install Debian Jessie - Install Proxmox ontop via https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie

Both ways get you "no network connection" - once Proxmox is installed, correct ?

You mentioned you are new to "linux" - any chance you misconfigured your interfaces ?

Can you post the output of

"ifconfig" and "cat /etc/network/interfaces"

and while your at it, the output of
"pveversion -v" and "cat /etc/apt/sources.list"

Question 2 (a+b):

You are using the Intel-Nic as your Connection to "the internet".
What is the IP-address / netmask of the "gateway" your trying to reach ?
Will you be using the onboard nics for anything ?

ps.: Its hard to understand from your post, are you right now stuck at the baremetal install or the debian Jessie to Proxmox install (at the proxmox repository adding stage)??

pps.: you mentioned you used "debian" as you you can choose the network adapter. Proxmox (baremetal or debian way of install) can be configurd to use which ever networkadapter(s) you want em to use. look at
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model and https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Open_vSwitch . The parts about Bridges (vmbrX) and Bonds (bondY).

Last edited:
Ignore the second paragraph for now, that was me trying to install proxmox on a debian install and failing. I can install proxmox from the ISO no problem, I just can't ping anything. I'm not going to use the onboard NICs for anything. For now assume I'm stuck at the base-install of the proxmox ISO to ease confusion.

When I get home I'll post the outputs, I'm at work and had no idea I'd get a response so quickly.

[...]For now assume I'm stuck at the base-install of the proxmox ISO[...].

"ifconfig" and "cat /etc/network/interfaces"

Then i'll only need
"ifconfig" and "cat /etc/network/interfaces" outputs

- What is the IP-address / netmask of the "gateway" your trying to reach ?

ps.: if your "not using the nics" for anything and your "switch" has the ports, consider plugging em all in and create a bond on eth0 + eth1 + eth2.

ifconfig:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 74:d4:35:e9:99:c2
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:18

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:5019066 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:5019066 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2174522634 (4.0 KiB) TX bytes:2174522634 (4.0 KiB)

vmbr0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 74:d4:35:e9:99:c2
inet addr:192.168.100.2 Bcast:192.168.100.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

cat /etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.100.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.100.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Can you access the webinterface ?
If you can not is the Computer you are trying to access the webinterface with on the network 192.168.100.0/24 ??

Is your "switch" 192.168.100.1 - can you ping it from inside the proxmox host ??

Even tho the other 2 Ports are not connected, should they not pop up in as links under the "interfaces" list ?

Come to think of it, shouldn't your "eth0" show up under your /etc/network/interfaces as an iface ??

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

iface eth2 inet manual

example:
i use openvswitch https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Open_vSwitch and not the older native linux Bridge system. And that would look like this (if you want to have a different IP-address on each NIC)

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-vmbr0 eth0
iface eth0 inet manual
ovs_type OVSPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
ovs_type OVSBridge
ovs_ports eth0 vlan0

allow-vmbr0 vlan0
iface vlan0 inet static
address 10.0.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_options tag=4000

allow-vmbr1 eth1
iface eth1 inet manual
ovs_type OVSPort
ovs_bridge vmbr1

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
ovs_type OVSBridge
ovs_ports eth1 vlan1

allow-vmbr1 vlan1
iface vlan1 inet static
address 10.1.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr1
ovs_options tag=1

allow-vmbr2 eth2
iface eth2 inet manual
ovs_type OVSPort
ovs_bridge vmbr2

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
ovs_type OVSBridge
ovs_ports eth2 vlan2 vlan192

allow-vmbr2 vlan192
iface vlan192 inet static
address 192.168.2.101
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.1
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr2

allow-vmbr2 vlan2
iface vlan2 inet static
address 10.2.1.1
netmask 255.255.0.0
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr2
ovs_options tag=2

The whole point being your /etc/network/interfaces does not specify "iface eth0" nor "iface eth1" and "iface eth2" for that matter.

Last edited:
No, I can't reach the web interface with a browser, or ping 192.168.100.1 I'm simply connected to a router (both computers are connected via ethernet to the same router), and I thought DHCP would automatically setup the networking information. I put the defaults as I honestly have no idea where to even find the information.

All I've done is install Proxmox and try to connect via web browser. Every guide I've watched simply uses the defaults already set.

Could you recommend me a guide to get started on setting this up? 90% of what you just said went completely over my head.

Your best bet is to make yourself familiar with the following wiki articles:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model <<-- Explains how Natve Linux networking works in the context of Proxmox.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Open_vSwitch <<-- Explains how to use Openvswitch on your proxmox node instead of native linux bridges. I personally find it easier to understand, more flexible and consume less resources on the host in cases of high volume traffic. (you still need to fix your current config first tho to get into the GUI)
http://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-explanation-of-etc-network-interfaces-syntax (post 2)<<-- is a pretty good crash course to understandg what is going on.

The first part you got to do is to make sure you configure your /etc/network/interfaces file properly.

This is normally the case after a baremetal install of proxmox VE 4 via an Iso. If you did not make a mistake here (like assign an already assigned IP, wrong netsmask, wrong gateway or an ip in a different subnet then your clients), you should have working networking.

If you there entered e.g. 192.168.100.2 as the IP and 255.255.255.0 as a netmask and 192.168.100.1 as a gateway.

It would then look like this (assuming one NIC) in /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.100.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.100.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
(i marked the part in black that is defnitely missing from your config)
You then need to execute /etc/init.d/networking restart or restart said node in order for the changes to take place.

If then your Computer is on the same network e.g. 192.168.100.3, then you will be able to ping to it, ssh into it or log into web-Gui.

Only then you'd do changes (via the gui) as needed

Did you set those values during install (IP/netmask/gateway)?
Did you fiddle with /etc/network/interfaces by hand, ie. delete parts of it ?? Because afaik it should list all 3 nics as Iface eth0-eth2

Hope that helps.

ps.: As Far as i know proxmox nodes requier a static IP (hence are not addressable via DHCP)

Last edited:
I plugged the Ethernet cable into one of the onboard NICs(has to be a specific one or it doesn't work) and I can now ping google.com.
I also added iface eth0 inet manual to /etc/network/interfaces.
I purchaced a range of static IPs from my ISP and entered one into the server when I reinstalled the OS.

I can ping the server via the static IP I assigned it through a different computer locally(I can't ping it non-locally), however I still can't access the web GUI with MY STATIC IP:8006

So, my problem at the moment is that I still can't seem to access the web GUI.
I'd also like to set eth0 to the non-onboard NIC, but I'd honestly like to be able to use the GUI before I even worry about that.

Also, thank you for the help, I seriously appreciate it

Okay, I fixed some of the problem. I set the IP to a local IP, set the netmask and gateway to what my other computer on the network uses and was able to connect to the web GUI. I'm not sure how to setup the server to have a static IP or how to connect to it outside of the LAN.

I'd also like to set eth0 to the non-onboard NIC, but I'd honestly like to be able to use the GUI before I even worry about that.
Hi,
linux store the network interface names, so that an network interface has allways the same name.

But you can change the name also.

To see all interfaces use
Code:
ifconfig -a
and
Code:
dmesg | grep eth
to switch eth2 to eth0 you must switch the name eth0 + eth2 in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules (and reboot).

Udo

Worked great, thanks!

Now the only thing I'm really confused on is how to set up a static IP so I can access the server on a non-local network.

I had the exact same problem after a Proxmox install ran out of disk space and had to try and clear out temps. COuldnt get in, the VM got corrupted, the setup went awol and my first onboard nic went AWOL trying to reinstall. Got the dreaded IP of 198.162.100.2 offered on the IP for the pve.home setup and had to switch from the first (intel) nic to the secondary AQUANTIA 10G nic to get in. Now I cant see where the first nic has gone.

Definite problem with Proxmox if you fill up your lvm I reckon.

The other thing if Im in shell how do I run ifconfig -a ?

Im getting -bash: ifconfig: command not found

So I ran this: ip address show

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 ::1/128 scope host
2: enp69s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether a8:a1:59:16:33:87 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlp70s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether 50:eb:71:77:e7:fa brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether a8:a1:59:16:33:87 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.1.134/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global vmbr0
inet6 2a00:23c6:ab84:8b01:aaa1:59ff:fe16:3387/64 scope global dynamic mngtmpaddr
valid_lft 315279397sec preferred_lft 315279397sec
inet6 fd65:76f8:30e8:1:aaa1:59ff:fe16:3387/64 scope global dynamic mngtmpaddr
inet6 fe80::aaa1:59ff:fe16:3387/64 scope link

After running 'ip address show up' and deducing that it was no. 3 not running I guess its no. 3 thats screwed up.

3: wlp70s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether 50:eb:71:77:e7:fa brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Now I gotta figure how to get this back. Help!?

Last edited:
When I try re-install promox (6.2 but 6.1 was same) why does Proxmox continually test the nics (blinking orange lights)?
Im trying to reset the network nics and dont want to have to go through numerous hours of reflashing firmware on tthe motherboard just to win back my nics!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!