No network card seen on a HP ProLiant BL460c G7 with dual port Emulex FlexFabric 10Gb

cronos6

May 9, 2012
Hi,

I'm facing to a new problem with Proxmox on HP ProLiant BL460c G7 including HP NC553i Integrated FlexFabric Adapter, also called Emulex dual port FlexFabric 10GbE.
I've installed "proxmox-ve_2.1-f9b0f63a-26.iso" (Kernel 2.6.32-11) and the OS can't see any network card. I prevously tested XenServer 6.0 and VMware ESXi 5.0 : eveything went alright so it's not a hardware problem. I have other linux installed on those blade : they works smoothly too. The driver loaded is "be2net". I try to load the driver by myself (using modprobe), it didn't change anything.
I've found this topic : http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/5275-be2net-driver : I'm already running pve-firmware_1.0-15_all.deb, more up to date than the one recommended on the topic.
- I could upgrade the kernel maybe ? This will be a painful, I don't have network connection to download basic compilation tools...
- Install an up to date debian kernel ?

Any ideas to fix this network issue ?

Thanks

Re: No network card seen on a HP ProLiant BL460c G7 with dual port Emulex FlexFabric

Hi,

I'm facing to a new problem with Proxmox on HP ProLiant BL460c G7 including HP NC553i Integrated FlexFabric Adapter, also called Emulex dual port FlexFabric 10GbE.
I've installed "proxmox-ve_2.1-f9b0f63a-26.iso" (Kernel 2.6.32-11) and the OS can't see any network card. I prevously tested XenServer 6.0 and VMware ESXi 5.0 : eveything went alright so it's not a hardware problem. I have other linux installed on those blade : they works smoothly too. The driver loaded is "be2net". I try to load the driver by myself (using modprobe), it didn't change anything.
I've found this topic : http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/5275-be2net-driver : I'm already running pve-firmware_1.0-15_all.deb, more up to date than the one recommended on the topic.
- I could upgrade the kernel maybe ? This will be a painful, I don't have network connection to download basic compilation tools...
- Install an up to date debian kernel ?

Any ideas to fix this network issue ?

Thanks
Hi,
the networkcard isn't reconiced or not in use?
Look with
Code:
dmesg | grep eth
ifconfig -a
cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
lspci -v
Udo

Re: No network card seen on a HP ProLiant BL460c G7 with dual port Emulex FlexFabric

#
dmesg | grep eth
-> empty
# ifconfig -a
-> lo, venet0 and vmbr0
# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
-> No such files or directory
# lspci -v
-> Nothing related to ethernet card

I've booted on a livecd and I have the similar pattern. Strange, both XenServer & VMware worked on this hardware. Then, I remember my previous problem : http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/9576-Unable-to-install-the-boot-loader?p=54081#post54081
I double-check the BIOS : I disabled also the mezzanine network card (f*** me).
Sorry for the noise :-/

I'm seeing a lot of talk out there relating to the be2net drivers and the Debian kernel. This may be an issue of needing a backport (if possible) from the 3.3 kernel.
https://launchpad.net/emulex

True but I don't know how far the PVE-Kernel derives from the RHEL 6 kernel.

HP has source RPMs for NC553i drivers for RHEL 6 available for Download - this could be worth a try but I'd expect it to be not very much straightforward since the explanations for installation were written for RHEL and SLES. With some luck, RH will integrate these drivers into a next version of their RHEL kernel as they do lots of backporting* on drivers - mostly server hardware like your CNA.

(I have some pitty for the RHEL kernel maintainers who backport huge pieces from modern kernels to the RH kernel for up to 10 years ;-) )

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!