No network available - ifup: Permission Denied

Spenk009

Nov 21, 2023
Hi there,

As the title suggests, I cannot connect to the network at all.

The system was updated (v8, updated from October to November) and rebooted from the command line. Next boot it wouldn't come online into the cluster, so I attached screen and keyboard to check in on it.

The system did hang at initialising ramdisk, so I rebooted into the older kernel and can now boot into both (now booting into newer kernel 6.2.16-18-pve). However the network is gone entirely.

ip addr show: I see the ethernet as enp2s0

/etc/network/interfaces:
Code:
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp2s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
 address 192.168.X.X
 netmask 255.255.255.0
 gateway 192.168.X.X
 bridge-ports enp2s0
 bridge-stp off
 bridge-fd 0

Code:
rot@XXX:~# ifup enp2s0
-bash: /usr/sbin/ifup: Permission denied
Does this need to be called by another user than root?

Am I on the right path here?

Thank you in advance.

Whats the output of: ls -lart /usr/share/ifupdown2/ What happens if you do systemctl restart networking.service?

Last edited:
Thank you, see attached image for both commands. None of the ifupdown2 commands work.

If I have a drive from an identical system, can I boot from that and sync over the root dir?

Code:
route -n
returns
Code:
command not found

Attachments

• pro-WkasAYZ7.jpeg
    pro-WkasAYZ7.jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 11
I'm seeing the same problem:

Code:
-base: route: command not found

and

Code:
-bash: /usr/sbin/ifup: Permission denied

The troubling thing is that it's difficult to do anything in terms of further updates without the network working.

Any suggestions how to save the situation? Maybe lower level commands to get the interface back up??

UPDATE (in case anyone comes across this thread at a later date): I was able to fix the error by running the dpkg config again:

Code:
dpkg --configure -a

I suspect the "permission" error was an execution permission error. It is detailed in this thread, along with how the system can get into that state: https://github.com/CumulusNetworks/ifupdown2/issues/177#issuecomment-711444561
Thanks! You saved me a lot of time.
Had the same issue after postponed for a long time upgrade - no network, all interfaces down, correct config with correct interface names. But still no network. Tried to get interface up by ip link set enp2s0 up - link UP but no IP (though it is static), tried ip addr add and got access to web GUI in local network but Internet was unreachable. In GUI vmbr0 set to Autostart but not Active. Tried to get it up with Permission Denied. Finally you post make the things settled and everything begin working again automagically.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!