No Network Adapter in fresh Windows Server after Upgrade to Proxmox 7

jj22072020

Apr 24, 2022
Hello, I switched to 6.0 unfortunately without success. The server does not recognize a network adapter

EDIT:
I just installed the English version and it now works without any problems.

i'll just leave it like that

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020
Hy

Looks like the trick with q35 and v6.0 or 5.x does not work anymore with PVE 7.1.10

This is my current solution

Code:
System: Windows Server 2019 German
Machine: Default (i440fx) 6.1
Driver: VirtIO 0.1.217
Nic: virtIO

Disk Driver Virtio (2k19)
Disk SCSI
Installed by loading the driver via Windows Installation

After first Login
* Open Devicemanager
** Install Driver for "Ethernet-Controller"
***  Driver: D:\NetKVM\2k19
**** Installation hang with Code 56
** Kill Process "drvinst.exe"
** In Device Manager the Nic is now listet as "Unbekanntes Gerät"
** Install Driver for "Unbekanntes Gerät"
***  Driver: D:\NetKVM\2k19

Nic is now working

Question to Proxmox: Is the change "deault setting windows guest" from i440fx to q35 related to this bug?

Also interessting is that the RedHat Certificates from the driver is outdatet (26.1.2022) => I saw this in mmc -> certificate

kr
Roland

jonas.dongowski

May 13, 2022
I installed Windows Server 2019 Standard (German edition) on PVE 7.2-3 inside of a i440fx-6.2 virtual machine and got a nic working.

During the Windows Server setup procedure there was no nic present.

After setup I mounted the virtio-win drivers (version 0.1.215) and installed virtio-win-gt-x64.msi to make sure I got most of the drivers.
I then shut down the vm to add a virtio nic to it and booted it up again.
The nic was present in the device manager but faulty (yellow icon, you know the drill).
Here another reboot was required. Took a little while longer but don't worry, it'll be fine.
I selected the nic in the device manager and updated the driver by manually setting it to "[my iso mount point]\NetKVM\2k19\amd64".
Windows tried to tell me it was already using the best driver for this device so I selected it again and "uninstalled the device".
After scanning for new hardware (magnifier on monitor icon inside the device manager's navbar) the nic showed up again without any problems.
From that point on even after unmounting the drivers iso and multiple reboots, the nic keeps working.

I also tried that whole process using version 0.1.217 of the virtio-win drivers but it didn't work. Not even virtio-win-gt-x64.msi ran without problems.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!