No MTA please

Lantizia

Jun 29, 2009
OK,

Pretty simple they come with Postfix, you can choose Exim instead. No option to have no MTA however... how come!

If I was installing the real Debian and select no tasks when tasksel is presented upon installation (not even "Standard system") then I would get no MTA. To my mind choosing --minimal when building your template it should be as close to this set-up as possible. Also it would be handy if you could specify regional settings, unless I've missed this?

Steven

we think a MTA is a needed component, therefore we decided to include it in our standard Debian template. and we choose postfix as we like postix more than exim.

so we will not change this, but you are free to use whatever template you need and you can also create your own.

NOTE: You may want to merge this thread with this topic... http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/4171-Postfix-main.cf-Did-you-guys-make-this-yourself

Hi,

Well I still don't agree that a --minimal mode should install anything more than... well... the minimum.

You do _not_ need an MTA in all circumstances.

Do you have any material on how I can construct a real minimal template?

ADDITIONAL: Can you answer my question on the regional settings?

Steven

Simply set the same things as you would do on a normal Debian installation.

My point is... without going in to the template and modifying the regional settings manually and removing region-related packages that you don't need...

Is there a way of feeding the regional settings to it when it's generating the template in the first place? Where does it get those settings from? It certainly is not the host machine, it just seems to default to the USA.

Is there a way of feeding the regional settings to it when it's generating the template in the first place? Where does it get those settings from? It certainly is not the host machine, it just seems to default to the USA.

I don't know what you mean by 'regional' setting? In general, you can set anything when generating the template (locale, time, ...) - simply use scripts/makefile to modify the configuration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!