No graphical / lightdm boot on Lubuntu 18.04?

verulian

Feb 18, 2019
I'm able to get graphics up on the initial installation phase of Lubuntu 18.04, however after the system installs it doesn't seem to start up lightdm or xorg at all - no graphics, just console. Any idea as to what might be going on here that's preventing it from starting?

I was able to install other Linux distros such as q4os and get the graphical interface up just fine, but Lubuntu is proving to be a real hassle.

Its a known issue/bug on Ubuntu, hopefully they include the fix soon.

the easy workaround:
=> Change the virtual graphic card to "VirtIO-GPU" or to "vmware" or use SPICE.

Interesting, there is no "VirtIO-GPU" in Hardware -> Display:
Image%202019-03-30%20at%209.34.20%20AM.png

But "VMware compatible" does get it going...

So while VMware compatible does work on 18.04, when I try Lubuntu 19.04 beta the system hangs at:
[drm:vmw_driver_load.cold.19 [vmwgfx]] *ERROR* Hardware has no pitchlock

Strange, I am running Proxmox 5.3 already... but I think I just figured out the issue. Since I'm not an enterprise user I would need to disable the enterprise repository and add the non-subscription repo, is that correct?

Ie, to `/etc/apt/sources.list` add:
# PVE pve-no-subscription repository provided by proxmox.com,
# NOT recommended for production use
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve stretch pve-no-subscription

Then `apt update && apt dist-upgrade`. I suspect when I do this things will work as you're explaining...

So after the update as per above and a reboot I'm unfortunately still hitting this black screen on 19.04. Hmm.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!