[SOLVED] no ethernet after upgrade to 7.2, can't acces GUI or VM

badarin

Jun 28, 2021
Hello,

since the update to 7.2, I can no longer boot my proxmox on the latest kernel, if I take the old kernel from grub, no worries, everything works.
I tested a ping when I boot with kernel 5.15.35 I have no response, on the other hand if I boot in 5.4.189 no worries.

what should i do please? I think the network won't start on new kernel.

networks interfaces :

cat /etc/network/interfaces
# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto ens2
iface ens2 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.119.52.1/24
gateway 10.119.53.245
bridge-ports ens2
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

Thank you.

Sorry I'm newbie and use google translate from french.

hi,
I tested a ping when I boot with kernel 5.15.35 I have no response, on the other hand if I boot in 5.4.189 no worries.

what should i do please? I think the network won't start on new kernel.
when you boot from the 5.15 kernel what do you see in ip a output on the console?
maybe the network interface name could be different for /etc/network/interfaces file?

and /etc/network/interfaces are the same with 5.15 kernel or 5.4

see result of5.15 kernel

IMG-0109.JPG

In your /etc/network/interfaces replace every occurrence of ens2 with enp14s0 and reboot the host (with the 5.15 kernel).
Thank you very much !

That's ok, everything work after edit the file with nano and a reboot

Reactions: Neobin
Into the log , dmesg | grep eth , it show all time as it rename the adapter to other name. As eno1 rename from eth0. And then in the interfaces file and as well show in ip addr , it's eno1.
Can it be easier to prevent the renaming of the nic interface ?

Not even try on those, it was direct over a local pc, but quite funny as this morning the nic wasn't able to get up. So end up doing a full re-install. But all time i do : apt-get install openvswitch-switch , don't know if it might hit something..
As the renaming.. The eno1 was enp0s31f6. I did as well activate a second interface over a wifi to auto connect at boot. But while getting an ip, the gui cannot get up, while usually i can access gui on both , nic ()eno1 or via the wifi.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!