no container will start

pmlearner

Jul 9, 2019
After many days of both containers and vm's running fine, I suddenly cannot start any containers (vm's still start).

Fails from both command line and gui with :

Failed to start pve-container@126.service: Connection timed out
See system logs and 'systemctl status pve-container@126.service' for details.
TASK ERROR: command 'systemctl start pve-container@126' failed: exit code 1

however if i start with (as a test)

lxc-start -n 126 -F -l DEBUG -o /tmp/lxc-210.log

it will start.

I plant to use proxmox for the long term so really desire to understand exactly what is going wrong. How should I start debugging this?

Thanks!

Check your strages - maybe a storage is blocking. What is the output of

# pvesm status

Does it display the status of all storages or hang somewhere?

Thanks for your help, pvesm status returns :

root@Proxmox-VE ~ # pvesm status
Name Type Status Total Used Available %
local dir active 2077376896 209124764 1762657356 10.07%

It takes a good while for the start attempt to return, as if it is waiting for a timeout

Thanks for the further input! I'm sure if I rebooted it might fix things but I really want to fully understand what is going on and how to diagnose and fix in the future.

Another possible data point: the container which I started (as a test) via lxc-start will not stop via pct stop. Perhaps this is normal but thought I would mention that as well. pct stop returns :

trying to acquire lock...
can't lock file '/run/lock/lxc/pve-config-130.lock' - got timeout

I can stop it with lxc-stop 130

If I run :

rm /run/lock/lxc/pve-config-130.lock

it not longer gets the lock timeout but still will not start (returns the same message as my first post)

Last edited:
perhaps this is a systemd issue as :

systemctl status pve-container@114.service

times out :

Failed to get properties: Connection timed out

I tried to restart systemd without a reboot :

systemctl daemon-reexec

but the containers still will not start

journalctl -xe

shows:

Jun 11 15:19:22 Proxmox-VE pct[6404]: <root@pam> starting task UPID: Proxmox-VE:00001905:00F83B11:5EE22F5A:vzstart:114:root@pam:
Jun 11 15:19:22 Proxmox-VE pct[6405]: starting CT 114: UPID: Proxmox-VE:00001905:00F83B11:5EE22F5A:vzstart:114:root@pam:
Jun 11 15:20:52 Proxmox-VE pct[6405]: command 'systemctl start pve-container@114' failed: exit code 1
Jun 11 15:20:52 Proxmox-VE pct[6404]: <root@pam> end task UPID: Proxmox-VE:00001905:00F83B11:5EE22F5A:vzstart:114:root@pam: command 'systemctl start pve-container@114' failed: exit code 1

(spaces added to : Proxmox to prevent conversion to emoji by the forum software)

Thanks for the reply. I'm not using zfs though. Very good idea though as full disks can indeed cause all sorts of problems. I've checked and all disks look good.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!