[SOLVED] No connectivity after install

pve_noobie

Sep 4, 2024
Have installed pve on a lenovo M90q with wired ethernet and wifi. Setup seems to go ok, but when I try to connect to web browser from another PC it does not connect. I also cannot ping the IP from another PC, or ping out from the proxmox server itself. Things I've tried:

1. Tried both wifi and wired but get same result (wifi def works as I used it on preinstalled win11 - to be fair haven;t tried the ethernet on win11 as I wiped the disk
2. Moved box right next to router still not joy,
3. Changed ethernet cable for known good, but still not working
4. Check ethernet and wifi enabled in bios
5. Can ping the lopback locally on proxmox 127.0.0.1

I did notice that when I check the IP on proxmox the eno1 and wlo1 adapters do not have an IP address, and the IP I gave it appears to be on vmbr0 interface (which I assume is a bridge)

Ethernet card in bios (when had windows 11 installed) is recorded as Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (11) I219-LM

Last edited:
Do you have access to the proxmox GUi?
From the console are you able to ping google like "ping 8.8.8.8" or "ping google.com" ???

Your screenshot don't display all the value! THE VMBR0 is up? or down status?

Do you have try to reboot the host?

Can you share the content when you put this command:

cat /etc/network/interfaces

OK!

Please do this:

nano /etc/network/interfaces

into the auto vmbr0 ..... change the value of the bridge-ports wlo1 by eno2

Save and run this command:
systemctl restart networking or reboot

Also please check if your gateway is really 192.168.1.254 or if it's 192.168.1.1

After change apply and system reboot or networking restart

Resent screenshot of
cat /etc/network/interfaces

and confirm network is working now

OK made change and reboot and same. Still no response to 8.8.8.8 and no lights on nic

Noticed this error pop up

1000003452.jpg

wouldn't be an issue in the bios? I wonder if the seller updated bios before sending and its caused an issue? no lights on NIC makes me suspicious. As si say, I only tested the wifi on win 11 and that worked fine before i wiped the machine

Are you sur you cable patch is correctly patched?
Yes maybe you need check your bios and put it at factory default!
Please ensure into bios settings virtulization mode is enabled

And about your config now it's perfectly correct! Before the settings was added for the wifi interface.... so bug! Now it's correctly setuped for the rj45 cable interface!

Can you also confirm your gateway is 192.168.1.254 ??

Are you sur you cable patch is correctly patched?
Yes maybe you need check your bios and put it at factory default!
Please ensure into bios settings virtulization mode is enabled

And about your config now it's perfectly correct! Before the settings was added for the wifi interface.... so bug! Now it's correctly setuped for the rj45 cable interface!

Can you also confirm your gateway is 192.168.1.254 ??
Yes rj45 sitting snuggly
Yes the gateway is 192.168.1.254
Will check bios just now

Checked everything in bios looked ok
Did reset and thought i'd royally knackered it as got an error about secure. Disabled that and back in, but still not connectivity

OK at my point of view:
Config into proxmox = correct

I think your problem is really a hardware failure so maybe:
1: network interface broken
2: Problem of driver

Do you know the brand and the model fo your network interface?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!