NIC bonding & VLAN's

xtropx

Dec 27, 2011
Hello. I have a particularly nasty problem I am trying to get working: I am trying to set up proxmox so I can have hosts on certain VLAN's. This is my /etc/networking/interfaces file on proxmox: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fOLk1mq-Qauj2tQKQhiXEvX1iWYyQCM1kPsvFR4ZFa0/edit

I have eth0, eth2, and eth3 connected to proxmox via 802.1q trunks allowing all VLAN's over the trunks.

The problem here is sometimes proxmox grabs and uses an IP address off of vmbr1/2 instead of vmbr0 which is supposed to be the management interface reserved only to communicate with proxmox through the webui. Sometimes my hosts cannot communicate using the vmbr interfaces. I've tried giving them IP addresses, and leaving them all zeroes.

All I am trying to accomplish here is to have proxmox control on VLAN10, the Xubuntu Dynamips Server on VLAN20, and my virtual routers bridged and communicating on VLAN30. Can this be done?

Hello. I have a particularly nasty problem I am trying to get working: I am trying to set up proxmox so I can have hosts on certain VLAN's. This is my /etc/networking/interfaces file on proxmox: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fOLk1mq-Qauj2tQKQhiXEvX1iWYyQCM1kPsvFR4ZFa0/edit

I have eth0, eth2, and eth3 connected to proxmox via 802.1q trunks allowing all VLAN's over the trunks.

The problem here is sometimes proxmox grabs and uses an IP address off of vmbr1/2 instead of vmbr0 which is supposed to be the management interface reserved only to communicate with proxmox through the webui. Sometimes my hosts cannot communicate using the vmbr interfaces. I've tried giving them IP addresses, and leaving them all zeroes.

All I am trying to accomplish here is to have proxmox control on VLAN10, the Xubuntu Dynamips Server on VLAN20, and my virtual routers bridged and communicating on VLAN30. Can this be done?

Hi,
do only an quick look at your config:
Only vmbr0 should have an gateway-entry (it's the default-router for the system).

BTW: normaly you don't need IP-Addresses on the other bridges - it's enough that the VMs use IPs on this networks.

If you have further trouble try first vlan-tagging without bonding. If all work, you can enable bonding (to find problems faster).

Udo

Something is not right here.

I ran the command awk '/:/ { sub(":", "", $1); print $1 }' /proc/net/dev and it returned a list of network devices, and I have these odd devices called eth0_rename & eth1_rename.

I found I should edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and rename the interfaces the way they are supposed to be. I did that and rebooted, but they are still there. I tried /lib/udev/write_net_rules all_interfaces to re-write the .rules file, but it returns "missing $INTERFACE" (which appears to be documented here: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=492193 but is said to have been fixed since then).

Right now I have completely given up on bonding and am just trying to get multiple NIC's working.

Something is not right here.

I ran the command awk '/:/ { sub(":", "", $1); print $1 }' /proc/net/dev and it returned a list of network devices, and I have these odd devices called eth0_rename & eth1_rename.

I found I should edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and rename the interfaces the way they are supposed to be. I did that and rebooted, but they are still there. I tried /lib/udev/write_net_rules all_interfaces to re-write the .rules file, but it returns "missing $INTERFACE" (which appears to be documented here: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=492193 but is said to have been fixed since then).

Right now I have completely given up on bonding and am just trying to get multiple NIC's working.
Hi,
/lib/udev/write_net... is not the right place (or not the easy way). Change /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules for the right names.
And "ifconfig -a" should give enough info ;)

Udo

This turned out to be a problem with Realtek NICs. I should have known better then to use them: specifically Debian seems to dislike Realtek 8111/8168B chips. My Realtek NICs were showing up as having the same hardware address and I suspect that caused problems. I decided to rip out my Intel E1000 and use a 4-port SUN NIC I had lying around. It isn't gigabit, but it will do the trick for now. Everything is working and I have my virtual machines on the VLANs required. Thanks for the assistance.

Duplicate MAC addresses on Realtek NICs:
duplicate_mac2.JPG

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!