NFS storage with udp option

RodinM

Aug 1, 2011
How can I make my NFS storage (used for backup) mount with udp option?
What should I add to storage.cfg and how can I remount the storage with this option on the fly?

Hi,
you know, AFAIK that UDP for NFS with gigabit can be dangerous? (It's can be happen, that the order of the packets are changed...).

Udo

I didn't know this. I added this option long time ago (in versio 2.0) and it worked well. My NFS storage was made on OpenBSD OS and it worked well only when the udp option was on.
Recently I had to remove this storage completely for reconfiguration but I can't remember what precisely I added to the storage.cfg and how to make this storage to remount with this option.

Don't additional options to storage.cfg work anymore?
I really need this because NFS storage on OpenBSD is very slow on reading with tcp.

If you must have UDP, you can evade the data corruption problem with UDP reassembly and id overflow if you set rsize/wsize less than the MTU so the NFS packets are never fragmented. Which if you can enable jumbo frames is not as ridiculous as it sounds.

I'll try it but the main quistion remains:
HOW to correctly enable udp-option in the file storage.cfg and how to remount the storage without rebooting the proxmox host?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!