NFS Share - Cant see in Web Console but works in SSH

itconstruct

Aug 3, 2009
I have just installed a new copy of Proxmox and am having issues creating my NFS Shares.

The NFS Shares are on a windows domain network that previously I had working fine under proxmox 1.9.

Could you please advise what steps are required to get this working on v 2.0?

Please let me know if you require any other information to help in this regard.

Hi,

on linux its the /etc/export file what controlles the access to the share.
On Windows I don't know. Did you checked that the proxmox server is allowed to connect to the share?

Best regards

Ben

Hi Ben

The proxmox 2.0 install can access the share correctly on the windows server fine without any problems. (On 1.9 it worked both in web console and on SSH without any problems).

When I follow the instructions located here - http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model - HowTo mount a Windows (SaMBa) share on Proxmox VE via /etc/fstab everything works fine except when I navigate to the webconsole and try and configure it so that I may access it here also. I am unable to successfully do so.

As such I would appreciate how the information you use in setting it up as documented on the wiki translates to how it should be setup in the new web ui.

Please advise.

Hi Ben

The proxmox 2.0 install can access the share correctly on the windows server fine without any problems. (On 1.9 it worked both in web console and on SSH without any problems).

When I follow the instructions located here - http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model - HowTo mount a Windows (SaMBa) share on Proxmox VE via /etc/fstab everything works fine except when I navigate to the webconsole and try and configure it so that I may access it here also. I am unable to successfully do so.

As such I would appreciate how the information you use in setting it up as documented on the wiki translates to how it should be setup in the new web ui.

Please advise.

Could be a number of things.

Did you check the logs to see if it's something like no CIFS support installed on the proxmox box?

Did you login to the Prox server itself and try mounting the SMB share directly? Does it mount?

What we did a while back was replace a Windows server with Openfiler, that removed a pile of issues. Basically, you have a windows aware file server that can be used in your Windows domain that has the NFS support native on the box and remove the SMB/CIFS layer to Proxmox. It's a much more reliable and better performing setup in my experience.

Could be a number of things.

Did you check the logs to see if it's something like no CIFS support installed on the proxmox box?

No

Did you login to the Prox server itself and try mounting the SMB share directly? Does it mount?

Yes And Yes. It can see what is in the share ok.

What we did a while back was replace a Windows server with Openfiler, that removed a pile of issues. Basically, you have a windows aware file server that can be used in your Windows domain that has the NFS support native on the box and remove the SMB/CIFS layer to Proxmox. It's a much more reliable and better performing setup in my experience.

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I don't have a spare/extra physical server to do this on at this stage.

I have even tried following the video guide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHyf_l1Q1ow and still can't figure out how to fill out the NFS information in the web ui.

Could someone please advise me on how to do this?

no

yes and yes. It can see what is in the share ok.

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately i don't have a spare/extra physical server to do this on at this stage.

I have even tried following the video guide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khyf_l1q1ow and still can't figure out how to fill out the nfs information in the web ui.

Could someone please advise me on how to do this?

bump.

please do not force help in the free community support forums - but as far as I see you already got all tips.

if you do not get it running there are still other options for support (paid).

Ok let me repeat what I've got from you:

I have just installed a new copy of Proxmox and am having issues creating my NFS Shares.

The NFS Shares are on a windows domain network that previously I had working fine under proxmox 1.9.
You have a NFS Share on a windows based system and wan't to mount it on proxmox? Right? Whats the name of the NFS Server or is it windows build in?
Is it a NFS or SMB/CIFS share? Thats not the same.

So its working?
Is it working or not? What is the error message or the behavior of the webconsole?

Best regards

Ben

Hi Bemar Thanks for coming back to me!

I appreciate the help!

Ok here is how it is setup atm on the server:
//192.168.0.7/iso /mnt/iso cifs username=myuser,password=mypassword,domain=mydomain

Please note I have omitted the correct myuser,mypassword and mydomain for security as this is working. This is one of the lines out of my /etc/fstab file on the ProxMox machine. This mounts automatically when the pc and starts up fine no problems as I am able to navigate on the box itself ie via ssh to the CIFS dir.

Correct it is working on the server itself I just don't understand how the information and where I set it up on the terminal how that translates to the new web GUI!

What I have tried so far and don't quite understand is:

When adding it in via the GUI the only option seems to be NFS for windows shares ok. So I have done that.
Then I put:
ID: Backup
Server: 192.168.0.7
Content: Backups
Export: /mnt/pve/backup
Nodes: All
Enable: Tick
Max Backups: 1

I then go add and when I try and view the share it doesn't work. By going to Storage View -> Backup (proxmox) -> Content View-> Error message returned is mount error: mount.nfs: Unknown error 33022 (500). I am not sure what this means but I presume it may have something to do with not requiring a username and password to be setup in the screen?

Could you please advise.

Thanks again for your help Ben I look forward to your reply.

Hi itconstruct,

IMHO this will not work, because proxmox tries to mount your CIFS share as a NFS share. This will not work because this are complettely different protocols.

For sure it will work when you put it in your /etc/fstab but not when proxmox should do it for you over the webgui. The error
PHP:
 mount.nfs: Unknown error 33022 (500).
declares that he want's to mount it as NFS.

I don't know what windows (server) version are you using but as I can see ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-en/library/cc753302(v=ws.10).aspx ) there is a server service for NFS in windows server 2008.
If you are using another windows version maybe you can find a NFS Server for windows by a third party. Ask Dr. Google ;-)

Hope that helps for you

Best regards

Ben

I have another idea:

If your windows share is already mounted with fstab to /mnt/iso try to bind it to proxmox with the web gui not with the NFS option. Try insteat the "Directory" option. That should work.

Best regards

Ben

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!