NFS server changed IP, PVE still using old IP

Reliant8275

Sep 4, 2023
I added a 10 gig adapter to my NAS and want to make sure my cluster of Proxmox systems use this connection. It is still running on 192.168.1.10 and I added .99 as the 10 gig connection.

My /etc/pve/storage.cfg looks like this, among other entries:
Code:
nfs: synology
        export /volume1/proxmox
        path /mnt/pve/synology
        server 192.168.1.99
        content iso,backup,snippets,rootdir,images,vztmpl
        prune-backups keep-daily=2,keep-last=2,keep-monthly=2

meanwhile, even after a reboot, the mount command returns (among many other mounts)
Code:
192.168.1.99:/volume1/proxmox on /mnt/pve/synology type nfs4 (rw,relatime,vers=4.1,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,clientaddr=192.168.1.3,local_lock=none,addr=192.168.1.10)

This mount is not found in /etc/fstab. When I move data between a cluster node and the NAS, I still see the data is moving over the .10 connection. All is online, but I want to understand why I'm not using the new connection even though I specified the IP address.

PVE doesn't put storages in /etc/fstab, it uses systemd mounts. That's one thing.

The other thing is that having two IP addresses on the same subnet does not guarantee that one or the other will actually be used. The OS is free to pick either one for sending replies regardless of which one the initial handshake took place on.

ETA: In other words, you need to get rid of the .10 if you don't want it to be used. And no, the speed of the interface is not taken into account when making routing decisions. That's what routing metrics are for.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!