NFR: don't change the mac address when you clone a VM

Jul 2, 2016
Hi
I would ask a feature that it can help in some configurations. When you clone a VM in some case (for example SME Server : https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/when-cloning-a-kvm-vm-the-mac-address-is-renewed.28153/ ) you must not change the mac address., else you must operate a reconfiguration of your system before to use it (expand of all configuration files and restart)

Therefore my request would be to have a check box in the clone panel (default not selected if you agree) to change or not the mac address , following the needs of the sysadmin.

Sometime we might need to have a 100% clone of a VM.

Sure it is one way, but not the more comfortable because the name of the backup is not really explicit.

For example the backup name I did is vzdump-qemu-110-2016_07_04-11_08_29.vma.lzo but in fact it depends from the VM SMEServer-V9-ARCH64.

So I must recall or verify the backup number to know which VM I restore.

However, I should have introduced myself better, my nickname is 'stephdl', I'm one of the developers of the distro 'SME Server' and, often, I clone, I take snapshots, and I throw to the grave a certain number of VM per day :)

Anyway, proxmox is a great product !!!

I have similar test requirements and help myself with a lot of snapshots (QCOW2) so that I can change quickly between them. I do not see the point in having two machines running with the same MAC, so snapshots should be the right solution.

thanks for your input, I will test it again, but I recall one time where I missed a snapshot in virtualbox and I lost a lot of time to understand what it occurred.

A fresh clone machine is the guarantee of security and success for my tests

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!