Newbie question: Why do the web gui state active for a network device though no cable is inserted in the physical nic?

mr2web

Nov 8, 2023
Hi all,
Here's a newbie question, Why do the web gui state a network device to be active when no cable is connected to the physical nic? nor is that network device intentionally used anywhere else in the setup as far as I know at least. :confused:
The nic has had a cable in it but not for some time and the state do not change to "No", not even after a reboot.

Please see the enclosed screen dump. The system is just rebooted when this screen dump was taken.

:)

proxmox01_1.PNG

Last edited:
Hello,

My guess would be that your interface enp4s0 is part of your vmbr0.
Please check /etc/network/interfaces to validate this.

In which case, an interface that is bound to an active vmbr will automatically be put up by pve.

Best regards,

--
Guillaume Delanoy

Hello,

My guess would be that your interface enp4s0 is part of your vmbr0.
Please check /etc/network/interfaces to validate this.

In which case, an interface that is bound to an active vmbr will automatically be put up by pve.

Best regards,

--
Guillaume Delanoy
Thanks for your reply.
Below is a screen dump of my /etc/network/interfaces.
I have another machine that I installed proxmox 8.0.3 and that version do show an network device, that have been active and had its bridge removed, as not active after a reboot. the 8.0.4 do not seem to do that.

proxmox02.PNG

Can u identify any anomalies in my /etc/network/interfaces that could be causing this?

With kind regards
Toby

I see no anomaly.
enp4s0 is not configured and is declared as 'auto', thus should not be up if not plugged.
Have you installed other packages responsible for network configuration, that could conflict ? Like Network Manager for instance ?

Proxmox (and Linux) nic status refers to a nic being configured or not, and either up or down. It does not show if the nic has link. You need somehing like ethtool for that.

In your case, you probably used that interface at some point, ticked the "autostart" checkbox and applied the configuration. Then you removed the settings for enp4s0 but applying the new configuration did not issue a down to the interface, so it is kept running even if has no cable connected. ifdown enp4s0 will deactivate it.

This can help you showing if a nic has link or not in the webUI:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/d...on-vmbrs-with-linux-vlans.132545/#post-583763

Proxmox (and Linux) nic status refers to a nic being configured or not, and either up or down. It does not show if the nic has link. You need somehing like ethtool for that.

In your case, you probably used that interface at some point, ticked the "autostart" checkbox and applied the configuration. Then you removed the settings for enp4s0 but applying the new configuration did not issue a down to the interface, so it is kept running even if has no cable connected. ifdown enp4s0 will deactivate it.

This can help you showing if a nic has link or not in the webUI:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/d...on-vmbrs-with-linux-vlans.132545/#post-583763
Thanks for your reply. :)

Well, the odd thing is that in Proxmox 8.0.3 it seem to, when no cable is connected in the nic nor there is any linux bridge or other config setup for the network device, show the network device as not active after a reboot and 8.0.4 don't seem to have the same behaviour as in 8.0.4 the network device still is listed as active even after a reboot and no config nor cable is connected.

Well, I can't find any other posts on this behaviour so its probably only me seeing this as a bit odd? Perhaps this is a behaviour introduced in 8.0.4 as a feature?

Thanks for the clarification of what's triggering the active state of a network device, that make sense. :) But it still feels logical that if no config is available nor any cable is connected with an active signal that the state should be set to down.

/Toby

I see no anomaly.
enp4s0 is not configured and is declared as 'auto', thus should not be up if not plugged.
Have you installed other packages responsible for network configuration, that could conflict ? Like Network Manager for instance ?
I don't think I have installed any extra packages yet. Here is the list of my installed packages:

root@proxmox:~# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 8.0.2 (running kernel: 6.2.16-19-pve)
pve-manager: 8.0.4 (running version: 8.0.4/d258a813cfa6b390)
pve-kernel-6.2: 8.0.5
proxmox-kernel-helper: 8.0.3
proxmox-kernel-6.2.16-19-pve: 6.2.16-19
proxmox-kernel-6.2: 6.2.16-19
proxmox-kernel-6.2.16-12-pve: 6.2.16-12
pve-kernel-6.2.16-3-pve: 6.2.16-3
ceph-fuse: 17.2.7-pve1
corosync: 3.1.7-pve3
criu: 3.17.1-2
glusterfs-client: 10.3-5
ifupdown2: 3.2.0-1+pmx5
ksm-control-daemon: 1.4-1
libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-4
libknet1: 1.28-pve1
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.4.6
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.4.0
libproxmox-rs-perl: 0.3.1
libpve-access-control: 8.0.5
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.3.1
libpve-common-perl: 8.0.9
libpve-guest-common-perl: 5.0.5
libpve-http-server-perl: 5.0.4
libpve-rs-perl: 0.8.5
libpve-storage-perl: 8.0.2
libspice-server1: 0.15.1-1
lvm2: 2.03.16-2
lxc-pve: 5.0.2-4
lxcfs: 5.0.3-pve3
novnc-pve: 1.4.0-2
proxmox-backup-client: 3.0.4-1
proxmox-backup-file-restore: 3.0.4-1
proxmox-kernel-helper: 8.0.3
proxmox-mail-forward: 0.2.0
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.4.0
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 4.0.9
pve-cluster: 8.0.4
pve-container: 5.0.5
pve-docs: 8.0.5
pve-edk2-firmware: 3.20230228-4
pve-firewall: 5.0.3
pve-firmware: 3.8-3
pve-ha-manager: 4.0.2
pve-i18n: 3.0.7
pve-qemu-kvm: 8.0.2-7
pve-xtermjs: 4.16.0-3
qemu-server: 8.0.7
smartmontools: 7.3-pve1
spiceterm: 3.3.0
swtpm: 0.8.0+pve1
vncterm: 1.8.0
zfsutils-linux: 2.1.13-pve1
root@proxmox:~#

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!