Newbie question about Proxmox

joeleo

Apr 24, 2009
I'm new to proxmox and have the following question:

1) Is proxmox set to have openvz run inside a kvm guest or is openvz running along side kvm on the host os?

2 ) If openvz is running along side kvm on the host os can openvz also run inside a kvm guest as well?

3) If I decide to use the proxmox cd, will all my updates/upgrades of kvm and openvz have to be done by proxmox OR can I upgrade these independently - Also, including the host os?

Thanks in advance for your comments/feedback.

Joe

I'm new to proxmox and have the following question:

1) Is proxmox set to have openvz run inside a kvm guest or is openvz running along side kvm on the host os?

See http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Container_and_Full_Virtualization
(means OpenVZ is running on the host)

2 ) If openvz is running along side kvm on the host os can openvz also run inside a kvm guest as well?

you can run OpenVZ inside KVM, you even can run Proxmox VE inside Proxmox VE (but then you do not have only OpenVZ in the KVM guest).

3) If I decide to use the proxmox cd, will all my updates/upgrades of kvm and openvz have to be done by proxmox OR can I upgrade these independently - Also, including the host os?

You need the Proxmox VE updates from our repository. Our Kernel is optimized for virtualization, e.g. we have the latest intel gb drivers, drbd, HBA´firmware for FC/ISCSI etc. (most time newer than in the latest Debian or Ubuntu). As soon as OpenVZ or KVM has new releases we test and update Proxmox VE - not immediatly as we do a lot of testing in our labs to make sure that the new releases are working as expected.

Otherwise, Proxmox VE 1.1 is based on Debian Etch 64, the next update scheduled for end of this month is based on Lenny 64.

I have a quick follow up question to my previous post. If I use Proxmox, can I still perform OpenVZ and KVM management stuff manually via the host node OR do I need to do everything in Proxmox web interface.

Another question I have is:
Will proxmox allow me to create users who can access the web interface and can I manage what they can manage? For example: Create VM's but not delete, Limit access to shell, and which VM's they can mange, etc...

-Joe

I have a quick follow up question to my previous post. If I use Proxmox, can I still perform OpenVZ and KVM management stuff manually via the host node OR do I need to do everything in Proxmox web interface.

for managing openvz container on the console, use vzctl.
for details, see 'man vzctl'

for managing KVM guests on the console, use qm.
for details, see 'man qm'

Another question I have is:
Will proxmox allow me to create users who can access the web interface and can I manage what they can manage? For example: Create VM's but not delete, Limit access to shell, and which VM's they can mange, etc...

-Joe
not yet. this is currently in development, see roadmap.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!