Newbie: Laptop Lid Question

El_Duderino

Jun 14, 2019
I'm a newbie and not a programmer so please be gentle with me. I've got Proxmox up and running on an old MacBook Air and am trying to figure out how to make it so it stays active when the lid is closed. I've searched but didn't find any solution.

I saw something about editing the /etc/systemd/logind.conf file, but was unable to locate it as the sudo -H gedit /etc/systemd/logind.conf command wasn't recognized.

Thank you!

hi,

check out this link[0]. proxmox is actually debian so it shouldn't behave that differently. these are the generic debian ways to achieve it.

ps: to be honest i don't know much about macs so you might have to do some more specific googling to solve your problem

[0]: https://wiki.debian.org/Suspend#Disable_suspend_and_hibernation

I am logged in as root and I tried the same command as su but don't think it worked. How do I access the /etc/systemd/logind.conf file?

I am logged in as root and I tried the same command as su but don't think it worked. How do I access the /etc/systemd/logind.conf file?

All sudo does is to let authorized users run a command as root. If you are already root you don't need it. The "su" command allows you to log in as another user. Again, if you are already root you don't need it. Just run the command by itself.

To access the file you would use an editor like vi or nano. Vi is probably already installed but is not very easy to use. I don't remember if Proxmox installs nano by default. If it is not installed:

apt install nano

Then "nano /etc/systemd/logind.conf".

Ctrl-X exits nano. Other commands are in the help at the bottom of the screen.

Partially solved:

Using the nano command I was able to get the laptop to close without suspending/hibernating. Now, the "apple" light and I suspect the screen are staying on. How can I blank out the screen (and the apple logo light)?

Partially solved:

Using the nano command I was able to get the laptop to close without suspending/hibernating. Now, the "apple" light and I suspect the screen are staying on. How can I blank out the screen (and the apple logo light)?
Hey noob here, can you tell me how and what you did with nano? Did you do it in the Proxmox laptop or thru the browser? My laptop allos me to login, but it’s really tiny, I can hardly see it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!