Newbie: Laptop Lid Question

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by El_Duderino, Jun 14, 2019 at 03:01.

1. El_Duderino

El_Duderino New Member

I'm a newbie and not a programmer so please be gentle with me. I've got Proxmox up and running on an old MacBook Air and am trying to figure out how to make it so it stays active when the lid is closed. I've searched but didn't find any solution.

I saw something about editing the /etc/systemd/logind.conf file, but was unable to locate it as the sudo -H gedit /etc/systemd/logind.conf command wasn't recognized.

Thank you!

2. oguz

oguz Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

hi,

check out this link[0]. proxmox is actually debian so it shouldn't behave that differently. these are the generic debian ways to achieve it.

ps: to be honest i don't know much about macs so you might have to do some more specific googling to solve your problem

[0]: https://wiki.debian.org/Suspend#Disable_suspend_and_hibernation

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. El_Duderino

El_Duderino New Member

Unfortunately, I get the following error:

-bash: sudo: command not found

4. BobhWasatch

BobhWasatch Member

If you log in as root you don't need sudo.

5. El_Duderino

El_Duderino New Member

what do I use instead? su?

6. El_Duderino

El_Duderino New Member

7. BobhWasatch

BobhWasatch Member

That will work. Or just log in as root on the console. The password is the same as the Proxmox root password.

8. El_Duderino

El_Duderino New Member

I am logged in as root and I tried the same command as su but don't think it worked. How do I access the /etc/systemd/logind.conf file?

9. BobhWasatch

BobhWasatch Member

All sudo does is to let authorized users run a command as root. If you are already root you don't need it. The "su" command allows you to log in as another user. Again, if you are already root you don't need it. Just run the command by itself.

To access the file you would use an editor like vi or nano. Vi is probably already installed but is not very easy to use. I don't remember if Proxmox installs nano by default. If it is not installed:

apt install nano

Then "nano /etc/systemd/logind.conf".

Ctrl-X exits nano. Other commands are in the help at the bottom of the screen.

10. El_Duderino

El_Duderino New Member

Partially solved:

Using the nano command I was able to get the laptop to close without suspending/hibernating. Now, the "apple" light and I suspect the screen are staying on. How can I blank out the screen (and the apple logo light)?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice