Newbie - how to configure and use disks

yamyum1

Sep 13, 2021
Hi everyone!

Am new to Proxmox and i have a question regarding the optimal storage configuration for what i have.

Am building a home server to use as a media server (Plex, Nzbget, Sonarr etc), run PiHole, HA and a few other things.

How should i configure the storage? I currently have:
  • 1x500GB NVME SSD
  • 2x4TB HDDs
  • 1x16TB HDD - planning to use this for the media share, don't require redundancy
Should i install Proxmox on SATA with ZFS1 and host the VM's on the NVME? Or should i install Proxmox and host the VM's on the NVME and use the other hdds as storage? Do i need to be aware of anything when installing Proxmox on an SSD so it doesn't wareout quickly?

How would you configure the storage with the drives i have?

Thanks

Hi,

As I see you will have only one node.
It is depend on the VMs and what do you want.
Please refer to the storage section of the documentation first.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage (Dir, LVM, LVM-thin)

Because lot of things depend on the type of the storage. (snapshot, etc.)

For example, I create a raid 0 with 4 TB disks for the operating system and store small things.
For example, an SSD is good for a VM OS, but that’s just an idea.

Reactions: yamyum1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!