newbee network principle question - multiple nics - howto?

iPanini

Mar 30, 2019
Hi dear people,

I'm completely new to Proxmox, so I wonder if I'm misundertanding the network setup.
F.I. Before I used a Slackware based distro that was configured to be the linux equivalent of a NT4 server. (samba domain controller)
However this system is not kept up-to-date so people advised to go with Proxmox instead.

What was my idea?
- basic system
- 3 physical network cards
- eth0 => connected with internet (range 192.168.1.n)
- eth1 <= connected with switch => running DHCP server for all network computers (range 192.168.2.n)
- eth2 <= running DHCP server different subnet (special separate network for domotica, IoT etc)

Unfortunately I don't succeed in registering the network adapters the way I described?

Can Proxmox be configured this way?
Or are all network adapters bridged to a single adapter?

Thanks for helping out!

It can be done but a bit differently.
First If all do not expose your host to internet. You either need to put a firewall between the host and inet or load a firewall on the host or run it as a vm on the host.
That said...
1. Choose what nic doong what. Which you have.
2. Crate a bridge for each nic. I.e .vmbr0
Vmbr1 and vmbr2.
FYI use vmbr0 for the system as it is a default bridge. So eth0 on vmbr0 is for host use. It is connected to local lan
2. Eth1 on vmbr1 is your wan. Nothing is connect it directly to that bridge except either hosts firewall with nat or iptable etc or a pfsense or a like. Which also will connect to the vmbr0 as lan side.

Once you are this up you can add the firewall vm lan ip as main gateway .Now your host has connection to internet and supports local lan for internet access and dhcp dns server services.
Setup lime pfsense can support multi scope dhcp. Hence you setup dhcp scope on 1 lan and second on 2nd lan port.
To connect client vm to both just add both bridges to vm . that is add vmbr1 and vmbr2 to vm so it can cinnect to both subnets.

Is there a way to make a network adapter's MAC address visible within the Proxmox gui?

I using Proxmox for Learning, it is mean I was also build nested Vmware and Windows Hyper-V on Proxmox Virtualization LAB and I have 4 ethernet card on y each server also I have two IBM 3400 M3 Server. 2 nic is Gigabit, 2 nic is 10 Gigabit I also have 1 500 GB SSD, 1x130GB SAS, and 4x130GB SAS Raid Disk Group on each node. On my LAB I also have one Synology DS 3517XS with 1x120 GB SSD+ 4x1TB Raid5 SATA with two nic. But I just have two Gigabit switch because of that I can not use my 10 Giga NIC on that switch, so this is my network system

First 1 Giga Port = Data Netwrok For guest, Host and for Management
Second 1 Giga Port = Storage network for Host and Guest
First 10 Giga Port = Guest to Guest local network. ( For Hyper-V, Vmware or Supercomputer and Multi Server management test )
Second 10 Giga port = Host to Host Cluster, GlusterFS ( I have two GlusterFS system on my SSD and SAS Raid Group with Replica Mode ), Migration, HA

Why I do not use Link Agregation on my NIC because, any network switch was use two or more network card for backup mode or sparate for incoming or outcoming traffic in this moment my ethernet adapter is Full Dublex 1 Giga so if I was make LACP or any other level trunking that will downgrade my network performance...

Also each Multi Link system can not use all network adapter for send and recive at same time, if you do not make host to host connection from that two link, on host to host connection I can use my 10Giga link with Balance mode bu this time I can not sure my Gluster and Migration performance not effectec from any other gutes. So betst way sparate each link for diffrent job.

Haha! I'm already doing that..
But as I'm figuring out how everything works that solution is only viable once everything is up and running. And then you really don't need it anymore.
At the moment I'm working on the cli and trying to get my network right.

Thanks for the tip though!
I had hoped there would be an automatic way.

Another thing that might help is to have the system beep the number of the nic adapter when a cable gets connected.
My previous system (Syn-3) did that, and it's a nice one during setup..

Ok Guys & Galls,

My system is up and running with 3 nic's now, but...
I will need a lot more handholding, I'm afraid..

Situation:
vmbr0 - LAN - momentarily configured to 192.168.2.51 - proxmox admin interface reacheable
vmbr1 - WAN - DHCP from provider (range 192.168.1.n)
vmbr2 - unused (at the moment)

At the moment I have my network settings set manually in the range 192.168.2.n and router pointing to 192.168.1.1
This way I have internet access.

But.. is this correct?
I think my router should also point to 192.168.2.51 and that the firewall need to do its work.
But how do I configure some basic rules to get going?
I've tried entering vmbr1 but that resulted in an error: source: no such alias 'vmbr1'

So obviously I'm not fully understanding correctly..

Thanks for helping out!

Ok Guys & Galls,

My system is up and running with 3 nic's now, but...
I will need a lot more handholding, I'm afraid..

Situation:
vmbr0 - LAN - momentarily configured to 192.168.2.51 - proxmox admin interface reacheable
vmbr1 - WAN - DHCP from provider (range 192.168.1.n)
vmbr2 - unused (at the moment)

At the moment I have my network settings set manually in the range 192.168.2.n and router pointing to 192.168.1.1
This way I have internet access.

But.. is this correct?
I think my router should also point to 192.168.2.51 and that the firewall need to do its work.
But how do I configure some basic rules to get going?
I've tried entering vmbr1 but that resulted in an error: source: no such alias 'vmbr1'

So obviously I'm not fully understanding correctly..

Thanks for helping out!
With knowledge that this thread has been dormant for a while, I’m wondering if you ultimately worked out your approach to multiple adapters/ports? If so, could you possibly share your interfaces config file? Thanks!!

Should work fine. Got 6x Gbit-Ethernet + 1x 10Gbit SFP+ using with my PVE server. Just make sure not to give the PVE host multiple IPs in the same subnet (use bonds instead to increase throughput or for redundancy). Multiple NICs serving multiple subnets is fine. Just give each NIC its own bridge.

Reactions: GaryV

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!