Newb setting up a PVE host for SMB + Jellyfin

little

Apr 19, 2024
Hi folks,

I'm really new to proxmox and self-hosting but I want to go further along this path because of the freedom and excitement it gives to be able to do whatever you want to.
I've landed on a mini-pc(NUC-like) with 1 M.2 NVME SSD (4TB) and 1 2.5" SATA SSD (4TB with 32GB RAM, it has a i3-1220P CPU. Form factor was the main focus due to space constraint in my current apartment, it needs to fit on my desk somehow and I already have a desktop pc.

My immediate goals are to set up SMB + Jellyfin + a VPN into my home network on this machine and I am posting here in the hopes that you guys have any suggestions, advice, or guides.

After looking around I came across a suggestion to set up the disks in ZFS raid 0 and then create a data set for media/bulk storage, I haven't been able to figure out how that would work yet, or even if that really is the easiest/most maintainable option.
Would there be an issue with just setting a VM to run the SMB share with the the allotted size I want to use for media/bulk storage? Is there a better way?
I am thinking that any other service that needs access to this storage would simply connect to the SMB VM. SMB because then I can also connect with my regular PC if I need to.

I am open to redo the whole install btw.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!