Newb questions: ZFS, Proxmox and FreeNAS

boethius

Feb 11, 2016
Hello,

I have some questions regarding Proxmox storage configuration. I wanted to run a FreeNAS VM but saw this discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/3d9o8c/freenas_under_proxmox/ct32nk3

I have 4 x 4tb HGST NAS drives that I wanted to use with FreeNAS. I would like to be able to have all the functionality that freenas provides... so that I can access the drives from windows/linux desktops, from the proxmox vm's, monitor SMART data, etc.

I have an older hdd for Proxmox, an SSD I'd like to use for the VM's operating systems, and the 4 NAS drives. If I can manage to get GPU passthrough to work I will have another SSD to use as a cache drive. This isn't mission critical storage but I do want it to be very reliable... I was thinking Raid10?

How would you set this up? I can research the specifics of the commands and such on my own, I am more looking for a high level discussion so I can understand the recommendation from the reddit thread on a conceptual level. I'm mostly stuck on how Proxmox can provide the functionality of FreeNAS, with its web interface, plugins, filesharing, etc.. I know its Debian, but it seems like a ton of work to make it function anything like FreeNAS

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!