Newb Question about clustering

jpcortesp

Jan 10, 2021
Hello Folks, I'm just getting started with Proxmox, upgraded my "home server" and took unraid virtual inside Proxmox yesterday and it's working great so far.
I spent the afternoon testing and playing with LXC with nesting (several LXC containers with nesting and dockers in swarm mode) and its great.
Just started to read about clustering the Proxmox, mostly for simpler administration as I have 2 instances:
  • My desktop with a Ryzen 3600 with 32Gbs of Memory and an enclouse and Raid card for Unraid, and a trio of SSDs for boot and a ZFS stripped volume for VMs. (IOMMU is working great here, with Unraid getting the full raid card at first try :) )
  • A Lenovo P50 with a speedy i7 and 32Gbs of Ram, Nvme with 500Gb where I'm running my LXC containers (some with NFS share access from Unraid in the previous servers).
My Question is, even If I have to reinstall both Proxmox (I might end up doing it anyway to change their networks to a VLAN), can I have a single Cluster with those 2 nodes, even if their storage is not the same? Is this a dumb question and cluster nodes have always to be the exact same thing? I really don't need HA for vms (specially because my VMs will be locked to a single specific node), I just really like the idea of a single admin panel instead of two as now.

Yes, heterogeneous clusters are supported just fine. You don't need the same hardware or even storages on your nodes.

Keep in mind that by default the 'local' and 'local-{zfs,lvm}' storages are set up to be available on all nodes, which might lead to some annoying error signs on the other node if they are not available there, but you can easily mark any storage as only available on certain nodes in the Cluster->Storages tab in the GUI (before or after making the cluster).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!