New user, observations, suggestions...

kyrrin

Nov 28, 2020
Good day,

I just started using PBS 2.2. It's on a dedicated server which also contains my in-house file archive and home directories. I plan to bring in a tape library at a later date.

The tape features, as near as I can tell, will work just fine. The immediate issue I'm running into is there seems to be no way to schedule a backup job directly from the PBS web interface. That's a huge problem for me (and, I suspect, others). Yes, I can work around it using the CLI and cron jobs, but it really shouldn't have to be that clunky.

Perhaps I've overlooked something? The vast majority of the backups I need to do will NOT be from PVE-based VM's, but from PBS's own local disk. There has to be an easier way than screwing around with the CLI, manually.

Hoping so, anyway... Thanks.

currently no, the idea is that the backup server itself can be "untrusted" (e.g. when you use encryption) and the backup has to be initiated from the client side, so if you want to backup custom directories, you have to schedule them on the client with whatever tool you want (e.g. cron/systemd timers)

Ah. I see...

Well... I'm not particularly happy with that answer, but it is what it is. Thank you for responding. I will investigate choices other than PBS for my backup needs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!