New to ZFS Having issues

procheeseburger

Sep 6, 2022
I have a 3x Node setup on VE 7.2-11. All three nodes have 2x Samsung 870 SSD's which I have created ZFS for each. This was working fine for about 2 weeks and now I'm having massive IO Failures on all 3 to the point that the ZFS is in suspended state. Previously I just used NFS to my Synology for VM storage which worked great.. I'm on the fence about just moving this back but would like for ZFS to work. What logs can I provide / is there something simple that could fix this?

root@node4:~# zpool status pool: VM-ZFS state: SUSPENDED status: One or more devices are faulted in response to IO failures. action: Make sure the affected devices are connected, then run 'zpool clear'. see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-HC config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM VM-ZFS UNAVAIL 0 0 0 insufficient replicas mirror-0 UNAVAIL 0 0 0 insufficient replicas ata-Samsung_SSD_870_QVO_2TB_S5VWNJ0R907789E FAULTED 6 0 0 too many errors ata-Samsung_SSD_870_QVO_2TB_S5VWNJ0R905032A FAULTED 3 0 0 too many errors errors: 45859 data errors, use '-v' for a list

I really wouldn't recommend using ZFS with these SSDs. QLC consumer SSDs are the worst of the worst you could buy when it comes to write performance and durability and ZFS really needs alot of that because of the massive overhead. A mdadm raid1 or HW raid might be a better choice.

You might want to check you cabling, if newer SSD firmware are available and the SMART attributes of your SSD (temperature and so on).

Last edited:
Reactions: Deepen Dhulla

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!