New to pve, trying to delete ceph pool

bu2chlc

Jan 27, 2021
I have been getting up to speed on pve and started working with ceph yesterday. I buitl a single node (dell poweredge r720 with h200 in IT mode. 8 disks 3TB each 16rb ram just for testing). I created OSDs a ceph fs and ceph pool. I am trying to wipe out the config and rebuild ceph to get comfortable with all the various tasks I might need to do. I was able to remove OSDs, remove the ceph fs but when I try to detroy the ceph pool I get a message "checking storage 'main_pool' for RBD images. It has been stuck at that point since yesterday. Short of rebuilding the server, how can I remove the ceph pool?

reference:
https://www.mankier.com/8/rbd

ls [-l | --long] [pool-name]
Will list all rbd images listed in the rbd_directory object. With -l, also show snapshots, and use longer-format output including size, parent (if clone), format, etc.

rm image-spec
Delete an rbd image (including all data blocks). If the image has snapshots, this fails and nothing is deleted.

just follow the message...
and use this cli command
# rbd ls -l <name of the pool>
it will show you the remaining images and/or problems of the pool (see reference)

if you know what you are doing (pls. think twice) you may delete them step by step with
# rbd rm <name of the image> -p <name of the pool>

If the pool is empty, you should be able to delete it.

Reactions: bu2chlc
is it safe to say that as I add nodes, the total storage for the entire datacenter will not increase? If I have 3 servers, each with 8 drives (3tb each) that will mean 24tb total per node, if I use the ceph size of 3, then that means 3 copies of my data will be stored which means I will only get 1/3 of my total storage capacity (about 7-8tb). If I have 3 servers, does that mean each server will contain those 3 copies, effectively giving each server those same 3 copies, and (mostly) exact copies of that 7tb of data? Trying to wrap my head around all the concepts behind ceph.

is it safe to say that as I add nodes, the total storage for the entire datacenter will not increase? If I have 3 servers, each with 8 drives (3tb each) that will mean 24tb total per node, if I use the ceph size of 3, then that means 3 copies of my data will be stored which means I will only get 1/3 of my total storage capacity (about 7-8tb). If I have 3 servers, does that mean each server will contain those 3 copies, effectively giving each server those same 3 copies, and (mostly) exact copies of that 7tb of data? Trying to wrap my head around all the concepts behind ceph.
This depends on your configuration:
Please read the following document: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Deploy_Hyper-Converged_Ceph_Cluster
To better understand the concepts, you may refer to: Mastering Proxmox - Third Edition: Build virtualized environments using the Proxmox VE hypervisor, 2017, Wasim Ahmed (Autor)

Reactions: bu2chlc
I have a Ceph pool in my datacenter and master node that I am unable to delete even though I have uninstalled and purged ceph on all my nodes. Could someone please tell me how to get rid of the pool from the WebGUI?

I have a Ceph pool in my datacenter and master node that I am unable to delete even though I have uninstalled and purged ceph on all my nodes. Could someone please tell me how to get rid of the pool from the WebGUI?
I think you should create a new post. Adding a comment to my post won't get much attention. Not sure why you made that choice.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!