New server, old problems...

ron

Oct 31, 2006
Hi guys, following the last incident (http://www.proxmox.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209) I purchased a new server hardware (IBM x226, dual Xeon 3GHz, one 36GB SCSI hard drive, 2GB RAM).
I installed proxmox 1.7 on the machine, and noticed that booting takes a very long time - 4 times more then when running proxmox on a standard PC (pentium IV 3GHz, 1G RAM). I started measuring the time when LILO started loading (the "dots" part takes forever on the IBM and two seconds on the standard PC).

what can it be? faulty hardware? compatibility issues?

Hi guys, following the last incident (http://www.proxmox.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209) I purchased a new server hardware (IBM x226, dual Xeon 3GHz, one 36GB SCSI hard drive, 2GB RAM).
I installed proxmox 1.7 on the machine, and noticed that booting takes a very long time - 4 times more then when running proxmox on a standard PC (pentium IV 3GHz, 1G RAM). I started measuring the time when LILO started loading (the "dots" part takes forever on the IBM and two seconds on the standard PC).

what can it be? faulty hardware? compatibility issues?

hi ron,

the "dots part" means the server is loading the kernel image. if this takes a long time, the bios or bios settings is incompatible with the kernel and it is falling back to this slow loading. After the kernel image is loaded, the drivers from the proxmox kernel image are used and the system should work as expected.

please contact your hardware vendor, maybe there is a solution on changing bios settings/bios upgrade. we use a modified debian 2.6.18 kernel.

But there is no impact on the functionality, only boot time is longer. If you want to be sure that your hardware is working perfectly, please take a look on the certified hardware page.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!