new proxmox server ssd configuration

Darkmagister

Jun 3, 2024
i would like to update my nas with a "server" i was thinking to still having the nas as storage device and the new server would be the workforce that will use the nas to store the data,
i was thinking to have proxmox installed on a crucial mx500 500gb sata ssd (and maybe some iso) and i was thinking to have 3 crucial p3 plus 1tb ssd nvme in raidz1 to store the vm (i'm planning to have a single vm for now with docker and quite a few contianer), and i would connect some shared folder via smb for now to the vm and i would use those to store the big data.

what to you think about that?
it's too much to have the 3 nvme ssd in raidz? maybe 2 in mirror it's enough? i will have to use all the m2 space in the motherboard

i was thinking to have proxmox installed on a crucial mx500 500gb sata ssd (and maybe some iso) and i was thinking to have 3 crucial p3 plus 1tb ssd nvme in raidz1 to store the vm (i'm planning to have a single vm for now with docker and quite a few contianer),
MX500 is not great but P3 Plus is QLC which is terrible for ZFS. And RAIDz1 is not great for VMs. Please search the forum a bit about PLP, QLC and RAIDz1.

i'm building a home server form my home service not an enterprise device (the budget it's limited) i was thinking to use those as are the ssd that i'm using on my desktop for few years now and i didn't have any issue, i tried to search but i don't understand if the issue is a the durability, or the speed.
the old server now have proxmox on an old 850 samsung ssd and 3 raidz1 3tb ironwolf hdd, i just need something similar but possibly faster and of course that it will not die in the next at least 5 years

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!